Got widely accepted but couldn't' land a scholarship (particularly interested in Chevening and Gates-Cambridge)

Kisenosato

My question:  Does anyone have an idea of what sets people apart for funding (rather than just being admitted), and particularly for scholarships like Chevening and Gates-Cambridge (for example, is it international experience? Very strong personal statement? all?)? Based on my results I am clearly deemed strong enough to get into programs, but not strong enough or as well-suited for funding.

Hello,

I work in the public-sector, with a focus on non-profits and social housing. A few years ago I applied to a broad range of public policy master's programs, including some American programs and UK programs like at Cambridge and comparative social policy/MPP at Oxford. I do prefer a UK program since I have never been to the UK and would like to experience it. I got into everywhere I applied, however, I got no funding from any of them, and I also failed to make it to the interview rounds for the Chevening and Gates-Cambridge scholarships.

Four years have passed and I am in my early 30s now and with strong work experience related to the programs I'd be applying for. I had very good grades in undergrad. I want to apply again and have been encouraged to do so by people in my professional circle. My boss for example stresses the importance of having advanced education in obtaining higher positions at our organization. Funding would make things a lot easier, but I really don't know the key to being simply an admit vs. an admit who is chosen for funding.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Kisenosato

I was a Gates-Cambridge finalist in this last cycle. There’s no fixed formula for getting invited for an interview, let alone getting the actual scholarship. All of the students I met were extremely driven and were committed to benefiting the world. There was very little ego and even though we were ostensibly competitors, there was absolutely no hostility. Everyone was genuinely interested in helping and learning from each other. If you have the stats to perk your department’s interest and you have the drive and commitment to help others, then you have a real shot, though, for even the most brilliant and wonderful people, there’s nothing close to a guarantee. 

One of the major problems that you’re facing is your goal of a getting a masters scholarship as an international student. Masters are seen as income sources by universities, so it’s incredibly difficult to secure any funding, especially as an international student, where you don’t have access to a large portion of the total funds. The wisest move for you would be to apply broadly both within and without the university. Don’t expect any funding and have a backup plan. Good luck! 

The first tip would be not to rely on getting insanely competitive scholarships to fund your grad school. For instance, UK programs notoriously have little funding, especially for internationals, and it is further unwise to treat professional graduate school as a study abroad opportunity. Unless two things are true: the program is substantially cheaper than your other options, or you plan to work in the country after you finish (which, if you don't have a UK passport, is going to be a tougher nut to crack than scholarships), get your degree in the States.

I can't speak to famous scholarships, but based on my personal/hearsay experience getting institutional scholarships, the two important factors are having your hard stats in good order and articulating why you'd be an asset to the program in a way that makes sense to them. I got funding everywhere, but my biggest funding was at a program that makes an accent on preparing people for the subfield I'm in at organizations where I have a network. 

You may want to read the relevant subforum. There's lots of good info there.