Yale MA in IR--- No funding or state school

The Yale IR program is offering no money at all :-( just a letter stating that times are rough, and they can't afford to fund people, which makes me very sad.

But I have been offered a spot in another graduate program at my local state flagship University . No word on funding yet, but of course it turns out to be much cheaper than the $100,000+ price tag of Yale.

Is an Ivy-league education worth that much?

Edited by irhopefull2010

I think it really depends on what your future plans are?

Do you think you'll jump into academia later on?  Then maybe Yale would be a good investment.

And always, (Steve Ballmer spoiler alert)

course list course list course list course list course list course list course list course list :)

The Yale IR program is offering no money at all :-( just a letter stating that times are rough, and they can't afford to fund people, which makes me very sad.

But I have been offered a spot in another graduate program at my local state flagship University . No word on funding yet, but of course it turns out to be much cheaper than the $100,000+ price tag of Yale.

Is an Ivy-league education worth that much?

It depends on a lot of factors -- especially what do you want to do and what is the other degree program in?

In my cohort, I'd unscientifically guess that about 1/3 or slightly more have outside sources of funding (a job they are returning to after graduation in the private or public sector or a fellowship like Muskie or Pickering), 1/3 have some Yale funding (few, if any, have full rides; most just get a few thousand per year), and the rest are footing the bill themselves through personal contribution and on-campus jobs. I'm in the third category and am paying for it with the money I saved up working in the private sector and by teaching (depending on the class, it is not always terribly taxing compared to the amount of money you receive).

I chose Yale also over some other cheaper, also un-funded options like American and GW (both about 10K per year less, I think) because what I would get out of it was easily worth 20K to me.

Good luck and I hope to meet you in a couple weeks!

It depends on a lot of factors -- especially what do you want to do and what is the other degree program in?

In my cohort, I'd unscientifically guess that about 1/3 or slightly more have outside sources of funding (a job they are returning to after graduation in the private or public sector or a fellowship like Muskie or Pickering), 1/3 have some Yale funding (few, if any, have full rides; most just get a few thousand per year), and the rest are footing the bill themselves through personal contribution and on-campus jobs. I'm in the third category and am paying for it with the money I saved up working in the private sector and by teaching (depending on the class, it is not always terribly taxing compared to the amount of money you receive).

I chose Yale also over some other cheaper, also un-funded options like American and GW (both about 10K per year less, I think) because what I would get out of it was easily worth 20K to me.

Good luck and I hope to meet you in a couple weeks!

hmmm, I always knew that when it comes to funding, Yale could do a lot more, but it's different when you come face to face with reality. Unfortunately I am out of the country and will not be able to attend the orientation, thus making this decision all the more difficult.

What are funding prospects like for second years like? Is it a new competition each year? or if you are a shut out from funding in year one then you pretty much have to do it alone?

Also, what about the camaraderie in your cohort/ interactions with professors. Does being a non-funded student make you a step-child, or is everyone, in your opinion treated better?

hmmm, I always knew that when it comes to funding, Yale could do a lot more, but it's different when you come face to face with reality. Unfortunately I am out of the country and will not be able to attend the orientation, thus making this decision all the more difficult.

What are funding prospects like for second years like? Is it a new competition each year? or if you are a shut out from funding in year one then you pretty much have to do it alone?

Also, what about the camaraderie in your cohort/ interactions with professors. Does being a non-funded student make you a step-child, or is everyone, in your opinion treated better?

Anyone that has any idea about the answer to these questions, please feel free to reply! Thanks.