Georgetown vs Brown

sprite86

I am still waiting for responses from other schools, but i def. think it will be between these two. I visited georgetown and I absolutely loved it, and I've visited Brown recently and i couldn't complain.

However, in the public policy arena, GPPI is ranked so much higher than Brown, and GPPI is so close to all the political action. Brown wasn't even in the rankings this year, and it's in Rhode Island. My family is a very "name oriented" family. Both my parents graduated from Ivy league schools and they are pushing me to go to Brown. Personally I am leaning towards GPPI but who knows. any suggestions?

thanks

Daring, the "Ivy League" is just an athletic conference! And you're telling me Georgetown doesn't come with its own prestige factor?!?!?!

Do what YOU want to do!

And honestly, while shopping around for good public policy programs to apply to, Brown didn't even register on my radar. Not to discredit the program or anything, but I seriously doubt it is as well known and respected within the policy community as GPPI...

Just my 2 cents. Take with grain of salt!

Explain to your parents that the networking at Georgetown in your field, and the benefits of being a Georgetown alum in your field, are equivalent to the networking at/alumni benefits of Brown in other fields. As someone who has attended more than one Ivy League institution, I imagine that your parents will respond to this language.