Georgetown SSP?? Anyone heard?

ExeterRiceNowwhat

Was just wondering if anyone has heard back from these guys? I see the SFS showing up in the results section but no SSP so far.

Ugh, no. The wait is brutal. If you look back at last year's SSP acceptances posted on the Results Forum, it looks like the majority of applicants were notified on 19 and 26 Mar. So, I anticipate that we'll hear back by the end of this week or next if we're accepted.

I was accepted into this program in 2003 when I first finished undergrad but I couldn't afford the tuition without any financial assistance. I'm now in a position to pay full tuition if I must, but I'm concerned that I won't get back into the program for whatever reason. My GRE scores (610V/650Q) weren't as good this time around- I chalk it up to being out of school for 5 years. I've got great LOR's, 4 yrs excellent work experience with a high-level security clearance (military Intel officer), and high GPAs in undergrad and grad school (3.87 and 3.78, respectively). Despite all of this, I'm worried that the bad economy has upped the number of applicants to grad programs and that I won't get accepted this time around. I'm plenty qualified to get a job at various places in D.C. but it's always been a dream of mine to go back and do this program.

Anyway, enough rambling. If I hear anything I'll let you know. Good luck to both of us, and may the wait <sigh> be as painless as possible!

To be honest you've got me beat on the stats and I agree that I think there are a ton of military/civilian professionals with 5+yrs professional experience applying because of the economy/laid off etc. Good luck to you though and likewise, I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Edited by ExeterRiceNowwhat

I am so sick of waiting for grad school acceptances, it is unbelievable. I wouldn't wish the past couple of weeks on anyone.

So far I've gotten into SAIS, SIS, SIPA and Fletcher.

I think that SAIS would be my first choice, but still haven't heard from SSP. If I got into Georgetown, do you think I should choose it over SAIS? Is the Security Studies program that much stronger? I know it sounds totally ridiculous, but one reason I am leaning towards SAIS is because it is metro-accessible and I hate taking the bus all the way to Georgetown. Is that a stupid way to pick a grad school?

I work in DC and I completely understand about choosing something metro accessible over having to get through DC traffic every day. Personally if I had the choice of SAIS vs SSP (to me they seem equally reputable among the people where I work) accessibility is a very real factor and is not ridiculous and I would go with SAIS.

I am so sick of waiting for grad school acceptances, it is unbelievable. I wouldn't wish the past couple of weeks on anyone.

So far I've gotten into SAIS, SIS, SIPA and Fletcher.

I think that SAIS would be my first choice, but still haven't heard from SSP. If I got into Georgetown, do you think I should choose it over SAIS? Is the Security Studies program that much stronger? I know it sounds totally ridiculous, but one reason I am leaning towards SAIS is because it is metro-accessible and I hate taking the bus all the way to Georgetown. Is that a stupid way to pick a grad school?

My first instinct is to immediately argue that you should go to SAIS because it is such a great program. But it truly depends on what you want to do with the degree. I'm guessing that you have interests in security/intelligence if you've applied to SSP... Do you want to do your Ph.D? Or do you want to work in DC for the government or some private organization immediately upon graduation? SSP has a great track record in job placement and is also a wonderful place to network because of the many faculty members and students who are already employed at various places in DC.

Also, congratulations on your many acceptances to great programs :) Just curious- would you mind sharing your stats/background?

My first instinct is to immediately argue that you should go to SAIS because it is such a great program. But it truly depends on what you want to do with the degree. I'm guessing that you have interests in security/intelligence if you've applied to SSP... Do you want to do your Ph.D? Or do you want to work in DC for the government or some private organization immediately upon graduation? SSP has a great track record in job placement and is also a wonderful place to network because of the many faculty members and students who are already employed at various places in DC.

Also, congratulations on your many acceptances to great programs :) Just curious- would you mind sharing your stats/background?

Thank you, I was surprised and flattered by the acceptances. And thank you for your response! I was thinking that SAIS might be a better fit, but it always feels better to get confirmation from someone else. In my mind, Georgetown is more for diplomats and SAIS is more for people interested in policy and private firms. I know this isn't how the schools describe themselves, but in my mind that's what it seems like. I am definitely more interested in just getting my MA and entering the private sector. I think corporate security abroad could be an interesting field. Plus, I like the fact that SAIS doesn't make students write a Master's thesis. My undergrad thesis was a huge waste of time and I don't want to repeat the process.

My stats are probably pretty similar to everyone else's. Graduated in 2006 from top-5 liberal arts college after studying abroad in Turkey. After graduating, worked abroad doing grass roots political work in Mongolia and Azerbaijan. Worked in several NGOs in DC and just got back from doing a Fulbright in Georgia. My GPA was completely average (3.5) and my GRE scores were not good (700/710/4!) so I think this really illustrates that they are looking more for work experience than straight numbers.

I've met so many SAIS students who seem eager and proud of their program, and I think the location is great. Brookings and the best gay bars in D.C.? Sign me up!

Ugh, no. The wait is brutal. If you look back at last year's SSP acceptances posted on the Results Forum, it looks like the majority of applicants were notified on 19 and 26 Mar. So, I anticipate that we'll hear back by the end of this week or next if we're accepted.

I was accepted into this program in 2003 when I first finished undergrad but I couldn't afford the tuition without any financial assistance. I'm now in a position to pay full tuition if I must, but I'm concerned that I won't get back into the program for whatever reason. My GRE scores (610V/650Q) weren't as good this time around- I chalk it up to being out of school for 5 years. I've got great LOR's, 4 yrs excellent work experience with a high-level security clearance (military Intel officer), and high GPAs in undergrad and grad school (3.87 and 3.78, respectively). Despite all of this, I'm worried that the bad economy has upped the number of applicants to grad programs and that I won't get accepted this time around. I'm plenty qualified to get a job at various places in D.C. but it's always been a dream of mine to go back and do this program.

Anyway, enough rambling. If I hear anything I'll let you know. Good luck to both of us, and may the wait <sigh> be as painless as possible!

Baileycesario, I don't think you should worry at all about getting in to SSP. You sound like the ideal candidate for the program, and this one is not nearly as competitive as, say, MSFS.

Thank you, I was surprised and flattered by the acceptances. And thank you for your response! I was thinking that SAIS might be a better fit, but it always feels better to get confirmation from someone else. In my mind, Georgetown is more for diplomats and SAIS is more for people interested in policy and private firms. I know this isn't how the schools describe themselves, but in my mind that's what it seems like. I am definitely more interested in just getting my MA and entering the private sector. I think corporate security abroad could be an interesting field. Plus, I like the fact that SAIS doesn't make students write a Master's thesis. My undergrad thesis was a huge waste of time and I don't want to repeat the process.

My stats are probably pretty similar to everyone else's. Graduated in 2006 from top-5 liberal arts college after studying abroad in Turkey. After graduating, worked abroad doing grass roots political work in Mongolia and Azerbaijan. Worked in several NGOs in DC and just got back from doing a Fulbright in Georgia. My GPA was completely average (3.5) and my GRE scores were not good (700/710/4!) so I think this really illustrates that they are looking more for work experience than straight numbers.

I've met so many SAIS students who seem eager and proud of their program, and I think the location is great. Brookings and the best gay bars in D.C.? Sign me up!

I just want to sneak in really quick to say thank you for posting your stats. I wanted to apply to the same programs you applied to, but since I'm in career change mode I knew my work experience wouldn't count for too much. Congrats on the acceptances, that's just fabulous you have a great selection to choose form!

Baileycesario, I don't think you should worry at all about getting in to SSP. You sound like the ideal candidate for the program, and this one is not nearly as competitive as, say, MSFS.

Thanks for the reassurance- it was a nice thing to read when I woke up this morning. And I believe that my background would make me right for the program, but I also think that graduate admissions can be such a crapshoot these days. You know? It's a frustrating, nail-biting process for those of us who hate to to resign complete control and fate to the opinions and whims of a faceless admissions committee. An applicant could be incredibly intelligent and capable of totally rockin' a grad program, but maybe his or her application gets tossed out because the reviewers have a GRE cut-off of 700V/700Q. Or maybe they go through it too quickly because they're bogged down with hundreds of applications, and they toss it out because the kid didn't take enough statistics courses or <insert random preference here>...

So I'm cautiously optimistic, but also preparing myself for the possibility that my application got tossed in the rejection pile after failing to meet the aforementioned random preferences of the admissions committee. whew! I swear I'm not usually this pessimistic. Quite to the contrary, actually. But what is it about the admissions process that brings out the frazzled, insecure worrywart in all of us? Or maybe it's just me... ;-)

Anyway- best of luck to you, tds140!

I spoke with a woman in the SSP department on Monday afternoon. Her response:

"Although other programs at the Walsh School have already released their admissions decisions, SSP has not made final decisions. They will go out within the next 2 weeks."

Is the SSP program easier to get into than MSFS?