Fletcher, Syracuse and GPPI

Okay, I'm still waiting on HKS and SIPA, but I've heard from the schools that most excite me. Based on various factors including funding offers, savings and being able to live with family, I've calculated expected total debt burden for two years of study each one (including living expenses):

Fletcher MALD: $94,000

Pros: flexibility, prestige, spoken to lots of alumni + current students that love it,; fantastic alumni network

Cons: the only con would be if I decided I wanted to study something domestic, this probably isn't the place to do it

Syracuse Maxwell joint MPA and MA-IR: $64,000

Pros: Two degrees in two years, perhaps gives more career opps, living in cheap city that, although cold, would be a nice break from the big cities I've been living in lately; fantastic alumni network

Cons: Lots of requirements and you are required to do an internship for credit which means you pay to do an internship (booo); less flexibility and no thesis

Georgetown Public Policy Institute MPP: $53,000

Pros: Great if I want to do something domestic, and they seem to have some interesting faculty on international development; strong quantitative training with three stats courses

Cons: The international concentration may not be as strong if talent all gets pulled to the School of Foreign Service; not part of APSIA or NASPAA; relatively new school so less alumni to call upon

Obviously I'm still a little torn about what I actually want to study. My professional background (2 years full time) is in domestic nonprofit work, but I'm interested in international stuff based on my personal background and academic studies. Not sure what kinds of jobs I could get in international relations afterwards if I don't have international work experience.

I never realized how stressful it would be to sort through acceptances! Even with the funding I've been offered it all seems so expensive... so I want to make the best of it...

Edited by Minerva473

You've laid out a very thorough analysis of each school's pros and cons (you were spot-on about Fletcher's flaw in that we would not be the place to go if you want to do domestic analysis), and now it's up to you to decide whether that higher price tag is worth the benefits. In the end, any of these three options would be a great place for your post-grad degree; with that said, I do of course think Fletcher is the best option, particularly if you're heavy into i-dev work.

It often helps to do site visits, if you haven't done so already. A visit to Fletcher is what really sold me over HKS.

Best of luck!

You've laid out a very thorough analysis of each school's pros and cons (you were spot-on about Fletcher's flaw in that we would not be the place to go if you want to do domestic analysis), and now it's up to you to decide whether that higher price tag is worth the benefits. In the end, any of these three options would be a great place for your post-grad degree; with that said, I do of course think Fletcher is the best option, particularly if you're heavy into i-dev work.

It often helps to do site visits, if you haven't done so already. A visit to Fletcher is what really sold me over HKS.

Best of luck!

Thank you! Yes, it's a tough choice. I have a friend at Fletcher who has been telling me how great it is, and have attended an alumni event where I was told by lots of people that I wouldn't regret going to Fletcher. But I like my other choices as well and they will cost a good bit less, so even though Fletcher is great with its flexibility, I just can't decide!