PhD faculty advise

gj2713

Question

Hey guys! I’m new to this, but I’m hoping you guys can help me. I recently accepted a position as a PhD candidate for a program that is in the accreditation process. I’d be in the first cohort. Currently, I’m completing my masters program at this school and I will have a year overlap with programs this coming fall. There’s been an increasing trend with the faculty involved with the program. They don’t seem to listen to students in terms of their input and concerns. For example, a professor lied about one of my cohort members. This member provided evidence that showed he lied, but this only made the situation worse.  The situation only subsided when my friend kissed a** and said everything was her fault. I recently had an experience with a few faculty members that involved a meeting about a particular situation. I brought evidence, in paper, of my points. This evidenced supported my claims, however the professors dismissed the evidence and referred to subjective experiences of other individuals. Another incident occurred when consulting a faculty member about my future career goals, I was told, “you can’t be me.”  He was referring to the career that he had the privilege of experiencing. This also occurred when  one of my cohort members felt that she did poorly on a presentation. She was down on herself about it, naturally. She presented herself as a little embarrassed and quiet for the half hour proceeding the presentation. The professor spoke to her afterwards and made a mountain out of a mole hill. She stated that others would perceive her as having an attitude problem if this is how she reacts to these situations. She also stated that she needs to work to increase her self-efficacy as a whole, based on this information. They’ve called multiple meetings with individuals to “counsel” and build them, based on small events. These are just a few examples. 

My dilemma now is that I don’t think completing a PhD program with these faculty members is right for me. Am I just being irrational?

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet