SAIS vs Georgetown SFS

09grad

I'm trying to decide between SAIS and Georgetown SFS. They're both great schools and I know I couldn't go wrong with either one...but it's still a tough decision. I'd like to go into the private sector and I'm interested in emerging markets. Any insight into either schools' pros and cons, especially in regards to preparation for a career in the private sector, would be great!

Edited by 09grad

It's funny, I didn't apply to Georgetown SFS in part because I don't want to be a diplomat (I applied to GPPI instead as I was looking at IR degrees and MPPs) and now I realize that SFS doesn't refer to the U.S. Foreign Service (though there may very well be a strong connection between the two). Check this out from the website:

"Georgetown University's School of Foreign Service conferred the first graduate degree in international affairs in 1922, pre-dating the US State Department's adoption of the term "foreign service." Since that initial class, over 3,000 students have completed the Master of Science in Foreign Service (MSFS) Program. Graduates have attained notable success in careers with national governments, international organizations, private businesses and civil society groups."

::bangs head against wall::

Edited by Minerva473

I have had smiliar thoughts before applying to IR schools.

I would say that both prepare quite well for a career in the private sector. A friend of mine who graduated from MSFS confirmed that many of his classmates went into consulting or finance. The term Foreign Service is somewhat misleading and should rather be seen as a brand name.

The only remarkable difference at SAIS is the opportunity to focus more on economics and / or finance. This has been decisive to me but may not serve as proof for its better preparation for the private sector. On the other side, Georgetown will offer a decent campus and university life and a smaller class, making it a more intense experience.

In Germany, I know quite a few people that graduated from SAIS and now work at places like McKinsey, Booz, Bain or BCG. So I would think it is acknowledged over here for providing a good education. It may have a slight edge over G'Town in that sense, but this might only be a result of many many more Germans graduating from SAIS than from the MSFS.

Someone on the autoadmit.com forum wrote:

"SAIS students can skirt the econ focus if they really want to. True, no matter what, it is a minimum 25% of your class-time, but you can take one econ course a semester and it will hardly feel that you're up to your eyes in econ.

That said, a big difference might be that you can really concentrate in economics at SAIS if you want to, perhaps to a greater degree than Fletcher or MSFS. Gordan Bodnar is a former Wharton international finance professor who now runs a program at SAIS and is very popular with students. Some people come out with something like 10 or 12 classes in monetary, trade and finance coursework. Certainly more than I did... "

This was in 2006 but it must still be relevant?

I'm also trying to decide btw SAIS and SFS; just declined SIPA. Too difficult.

37 percent of the 2009 graduating class went into the private sector, so I think that even if you don't want to be a diplomat GSFS would still be a good option. Plus, they have the International Commerce and Business concentration as well as the opportunity to cross-register for classes in the business school.

007, I'm surprised that you say that SAIS has a better reputation in Germany than Georgetown does. I would have thought the opposite, but that's good to know since I would like to work in Europe eventually.

If I do decide to go to SAIS I'm going to have to decide soon so that I can start studying for those econ waiver exams... Has anyone heard anything about these/how difficult they are?

007, I'm surprised that you say that SAIS has a better reputation in Germany than Georgetown does. I would have thought the opposite, but that's good to know since I would like to work in Europe eventually.

At least this is my perception. The name Georgetown will somehow be familiar to people, but they wouldn't necessarily associate it with any stellar IR program. SAIS might be better known due to the amount of Germans graduating from the program each year and going into the private sector. However, when it comes to brand name, nothing will beat Harvard/Yale/Stanford.

Hi there,

I'm a current SAIS student. Many folks here have discussed reputation of both schools and all. I've talked a friend at SFS about schools. Obviously MSFS is a small grad program compared to the BSFS program which is actually the flagship program of this school and the whole university.

SAIS is devoted to grad studenta only and perceived more professional oriented in the private sector and international finance as well as development, than SFS. You might have known, the World Bank is the second largest employer of SAIS graduates after the US government (all agencies combined). Consulting/private sector is a very usual industry for the graduates too.

If you want to do EMERGING MARKETS, you might want to see EMERGING MARKET specialization at SAIS plus International Economics specializations which are additional to what every student has to do. http://www.sais-jhu.edu/academics/emerging-markets-specialization/index.htm and http://www.sais-jhu.edu/academics/economics/specializations.htm .

SAIS has a wonderful career service. You could encounter future employers every week in whatever sectors. There are a lot of career clubs including consulting. See where 2009/08 graduates go to work here http://www.sais-jhu.edu/bin/a/l/SAIS_EmpOutlk09.pdf http://www.sais-jhu.edu/bin/w/p/SAIS_Employment_Outcomes08.pdf

I personally believe that only a big enough, but not too big, school can offer what you want academically and professionally. That's why I chose SAIS over SFS and others in the first place.

Good luck

Edited by energie

Hi, I was wondering for anybody who has had any experience in SAIS - how difficult is it to change your program concentration once you've been admitted to the program? I applied for China Studies but now I think I may want to change my focus to a functional studies program.

Alternatively, as a SAIS graduate does it truly matter what your focus of study was in terms of career options? Does your choice of focus significantly limit and/or help you in any way?

Hi, I was wondering for anybody who has had any experience in SAIS - how difficult is it to change your program concentration once you've been admitted to the program? I applied for China Studies but now I think I may want to change my focus to a functional studies program.

Alternatively, as a SAIS graduate does it truly matter what your focus of study was in terms of career options? Does your choice of focus significantly limit and/or help you in any way?

For Cha

http://www.sais-jhu.edu/bin/c/h/RedBook2008.pdf

changing concentrations is no problem. I'm thinking about doing the same. Page 19.

• 1 year later...

I know this is old, but I'm interested in this too if anybody has any knowledge they would share. Since everybody does the economics concentration, does the other concentration really change one's career options that much? Particularly, would chosing something like strategic studies or American foreign policy to go with the economics give one options for public and private work?