Emailing potential rotation advisors

eyne

One program I'm strongly considering has a few professors I'd love to work with, but are so popular that I'm afraid they won't be available for lab rotations. Is it ok to email them and simply ask if they're taking rotation students (even if I don't have any amazing questions about their work to ask them right now - I'm using up all my brainpower on decision-making)?

Also, if I want to ask their current students some questions about their advisor/lab, is it better to email or call? I understand some people might be hesitant about giving me their opinion in writing - would I get more candid answers if I called them?

Ask if they are taking students - email is okay - and if they are, could they put you in touch with some of their current students? They'll probably give you email addresses. Contact those students and see if they have time for a phone call. It will go faster if you call them.