I was accepted to a PhD program but was not invited to the recruitment event nor replied to by faculty or admissions. Why?

This all happened in April. I chose a different route anyway so I'm not holding a grudge or anything, just curious what might have happened. Come my decision email which points to an acceptance letter (yay!), and a mention that a funding notification would come from my department. After waiting a couple more days I sent out emails, then phone calls, but no one would reply when I was hoping to get more information. I tried my POI (at this point my assigned advisor), another faculty member with whom I talked to in person prior, and an admissions advisor with whom I had also talked to in person prior. All these people assured me that I shouldn't have trouble getting accepted and funding wouldn't be an issue. Interestingly, I didn't get an interview no was I invited to the recruitment event. This was at UCLA which didn't seem to be on the ball this year according to the results page, but I digress. Does anyone have a clue what might have happened? Was I accidentally accepted? Administrators suck at administrating? I've been stumped.