ChemE existing resources on research areas/schools

gimingo

Hi I'm a new member to the site planning on applying for a PhD. I think I have a pretty good shot at some top programs so I'm comfortable applying anywhere. However I want to pick areas based on the research area that I'm interested in (process systems engineering). Is there any sort of database or resource I can take a look at that lists schools by research area? Additionally, I'm not particularly satisfied with the US News and World report in terms of their process of ranking schools. Does anyone have a recommendation for a better list of "top" chemical engineering programs? I'm really not too particular about rank but I really care about working in a research environment where everyone is very talented and highly qualified, and I'm wondering if there's a way to select for schools where that's more often the case. Any help you could give would be appreciated- thank you!

Hi Gimingo,

I'm not familiar with any rankings for sub-specializations within chemical engineering. That is more common for broad subjects like business and biology.

There are a number of other rankings available for chemical engineering. TopUniversities.com ranks them for all programs globally based on their QS rankings. There are some differences, such as UCLA being much higher and Minnesota somewhat lower than in the USNWR rankings. However, as a gauge for the consensus among those in academia about what the best programs are, the USNWR rankings align closely with what I have heard from professors. Whether this is because US News reports the sentiment accurately, or manufactures the sentiment, is not for me to say. Collegechoice.net has some rankings too, but I don't know much about them. Times Higher Education has a listing as well. Both of those rank Stanford as #1.

I would urge you to use other resources in your analysis as well. The NRC ranks according to several categories, and is sortable, so that you can see how your priorities align. https://www.chronicle.com/article/NRC-Rankings-Overview-/124712/

All of this said, rankings will only give you so much information. You want to work with people who are talented and qualified, and you will find that at any school in the top-(insert number here), but do some leg-work now. Email some professors or some of their grad students, ask about the department and how they like it there, and ask professors at your current institution for their thoughts. Importantly, use your admitted student visit weekend to ask very specific questions and assess your feel for the campus. The final decision may be quite clear once you have seen your top prospect programs first-hand.

I hope that helps. Cheers.

-VS