Interviews for top US/UK programs?

AntiSpinel

Hello!

I'm going to be applying for Fall 2019 admissions (good luck to everybody!) and was wondering if there will be an interview component after the submission of the application and LORs. 

I do know that UK schools (oxbridge) usually conduct an interview after reviewing our applications but I read elsewhere that top US schools normally do not conduct interviews and make admission decisions based solely on the application materials. Is this true?

In that case, if I were to visit the US grad school next year during their visits (should I be fortunate enough to be gifted an acceptance)... will there be an interview of sorts then?

Thanks for all your help and all the best for your applications!!! 

It is program dependent, but most schools will do an initial screening before inviting the best prospects to do an interview. I believe all domestic students will have an interview prior to being accepted, but I don't know if it differs for internation students. But, in general, all programs will have interviews. If you have any programs in mind, you should look through their application page for more details. 

On 8/27/2018 at 1:24 PM, mcfc2018 said:

It is program dependent, but most schools will do an initial screening before inviting the best prospects to do an interview. I believe all domestic students will have an interview prior to being accepted, but I don't know if it differs for internation students. But, in general, all programs will have interviews. If you have any programs in mind, you should look through their application page for more details. 

^ This is untrue for chemistry.

It is true that barely any interview. A couple do, but it's more of a last check after deciding offers to make sure you are a normal person/can speak english well. You won't be formally interviewed at visits, but it is basically an interview for the group you want to join at some places. You will be being watched.

On 9/3/2018 at 2:46 PM, ketchup said:

^ This is untrue for chemistry.

It is true that barely any interview. A couple do, but it's more of a last check after deciding offers to make sure you are a normal person/can speak english well. You won't be formally interviewed at visits, but it is basically an interview for the group you want to join at some places. You will be being watched.

Hey cool, thanks for your reply! 

I have started looking up at some of the application forms and have noticed a section for uploading supporting/supplementary writing samples. May I check if writing samples are generally required in chemistry PhD applications? 

On 9/4/2018 at 9:23 AM, AntiSpinel said:

Hey cool, thanks for your reply! 

I have started looking up at some of the application forms and have noticed a section for uploading supporting/supplementary writing samples. May I check if writing samples are generally required in chemistry PhD applications? 

There are no required writing samples. Sometimes they let you upload extra documents. I would only do this if you could add a publication for example (I didn't do this, btw). 

@Ketchup, cool! thanks for your reply! I had thoughts that the writing sample section would be more relevant for the arts and humanities... guess not having to upload one would save some time in the application process!

All the best everyone!