Wanting to apply for masters.. low gpa but working in the field?

Halpy

Hi all, 

So I've always been interested in public health and am currently working in that sector (for the past few years). I only graduated with a 2.9 gpa in my last 20 courses (better than my first 20..) and knowing how competitive it can be, do I even have any chance of getting into a masters (any masters for that matter..) with that gpa or would I need to do some upgrading?

I graduated a year ago, and problem is with already having a degree/working full time, it would take years to get that gpa up by even 0.2.. just not sure if it would make a difference. 

What do people think I should do? Should I quit, cry, or buckle down and find a way? 

Cheers 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2018 at 12:17 PM, Halpy said:

Hi all, 

So I've always been interested in public health and am currently working in that sector (for the past few years). I only graduated with a 2.9 gpa in my last 20 courses (better than my first 20..) and knowing how competitive it can be, do I even have any chance of getting into a masters (any masters for that matter..) with that gpa or would I need to do some upgrading?

I graduated a year ago, and problem is with already having a degree/working full time, it would take years to get that gpa up by even 0.2.. just not sure if it would make a difference. 

What do people think I should do? Should I quit, cry, or buckle down and find a way? 

Cheers 

Look into the programs that offer enrollment into a certificate option that covers some of main courses in the curriculum of your choice. This can help offset the lower gpa while giving you a head start on an MPH. Some of these certificate programs if completed above a certain gpa also allow for a GRE waiver.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Halpy,

2.9 is actually not a terrible GPA. Don't discount your opportunities before looking into them.

I like Theory of A Bug's idea to start with the certificate program. Programs generally don't want to accept students who they aren't certain can be successful in their program. So taking a couple certificate classes will show you can do grad-level work. 

It doesn't make any sense to take more undergrad classes if they are not pre-reqs for your desired program.

I also recommend meeting in person with some of the admissions staff of the programs you want to attend and get their honest opinion about what you need to do to be a good candidate for the program. Be able to clearly explain why you need an MPH. Follow-up and stay connected with them to update them on your progress. Everyone appreciates perseverance.

Even if GRE's are not required, a good score can help you overcome poor grades. They aren't fun, but not as tough as people think. Prepare and rock the test.

Really be honest as to why you think you underperformed in undergrad. Once you identify the issue(s), create a plan to overcome it/ them. No excuse to make the same mistakes again. 

--

It is quite possible to succeed after a terrible (which yours is not) undergraduate experience.

I am in my first year of a DrPH program and am proof it can be done.

I struggled with serious mental health problems, and was kind of an a**hole, in undergrad - barely graduated with a 2.27 GPA (bottom 10% of my class and major). Came up with an 8 year plan:

Join the Army, be awesome at it, find a career path, buy a house, meet the woman of my dreams, and complete a Masters program. Worked out quite well. Completed the MSW at a top-25 program, worked a few years more, and applied to the DrPH program in 2017. 

I was not accepted the first time around and the admissions committee gave me specific action steps to complete. Knocked those out. Applied and was accepted this past spring. 

--

Please let me know if I can be of assistance, you want to talk out your plan, or just bounce ideas off of me. 

Be awesome,