Can anyone recommend Art History/Theory PhD programs?

Ian Jehle

A good friend of mine is a writer and researcher in one of the art museums at Smithsonian.  She's as well read and up to date about modern art history and critical theory as anyone I know (including my colleagues in the Art History Department at the university where I teach.)  She has a substantial dossier of research and writing already, but in order to do more she needs to get her PhD.  Her problem is that she's a bit of a generalist.  Her job has meant that she's researched and written broadly about modern art.  She also has a serious background in music and literature, and talks often and in great depth about areas where art, music, literature and theatre converge. Does anyone have any suggestions about programs or particular individuals to get in touch with who would want to work with someone with such a broad background?  With the body of work she's already done, her problem probably won't be getting into a program - the issue is finding the right place.  International programs would be an option. I know she speaks French, but I'm not sure at what level of proficiency.