Drastic Career Pivot: Is it Possible?

SortOfOld

Undergrad: BS Nuclear Engineering

Grad: JD

Experience: 5 years in patent litigation at a large law firm and 1 year as associate general counsel at a midsize manufacturing company

GRE: 164Q, 168V, 4.5W

Previous Research: 1 year at a nanophysics lab 

GOAL: I want to abandon being a lawyer and pursue a fully-funded doctorate in engineering policy, public policy, or political science, with a focus on renewable energy and the policy related to its growth.

Does anyone know of someone who’s succeeded in making a similar career pivot? How’ve others legitimized efforts to change careers when previous work experience doesn’t logically connect well with desired academic pursuits?

Thank you for any insight you can offer.

On 9/4/2018 at 11:02 AM, SortOfOld said:

How’ve others legitimized efforts to change careers when previous work experience doesn’t logically connect well with desired academic pursuits?

Career pivots are common enough, and I can see a fairly "logical" shift in your interests.  

You have enough experience to prove an understanding of the "real world" and have two relevant degrees; all the important pieces to tell your story are there.  

Do you have any specific programs in mind?

On 9/8/2018 at 3:23 PM, unipathfinder said:

Career pivots are common enough, and I can see a fairly "logical" shift in your interests.  

You have enough experience to prove an understanding of the "real world" and have two relevant degrees; all the important pieces to tell your story are there.  

Do you have any specific programs in mind?

I was thinking of programs like Carnegie Mellon’s Energy and Public Policy. As I’ve researched, I’ve struggled to gauge how much programs weigh different parts of a person’s experience and numbers. Given the oddness of my background, I’ve tried to find more open-minded programs.