A question for those who have applied to UCSD in the past

Unfortunately, their website isn't very informative re application requirements. Specifically, I am wondering what the upper limit is on the writing sample. I know that a safe bet is to submit a paper in the 15-25pg range, but some programs (like UChicago) allow applicants to submit a master's thesis of around 50+ pages if they consider it their best work. I have two potential writing samples, one a 20-something page paper, and the other my master's thesis which is exactly 50 pages. I would say that my master's thesis is definitely the better researched, more impressive piece, and so I'd probably prefer to send it if possible. I know some people recommend sending long samples with "instructions" re which pages to read, totaling 20-something, but this seems impractical. My thesis is 50 pages long because it needs to be...if I could have written it in 25 I sure as hell would have haha!

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

I go to UCSD and I'm submitting a longer sample.  If you have questions, just email someone in the department who in you AOI.  Everyone is really friendly and helpful!