Definition of International Student?

ProfessionalPipettor

Hi all, I have a quick question from a friend.

My friend is currently an international student from China and he is studying in a U.S. University. All of his undergraduate education will be done in the U.S..

I am wondering if he applies to grad school, is he still considered an international applicant? I am asking because most of the international applicants I saw on the forum were directly applying from their home country.

Thanks a lot!

International student is a visa category. It has nothing to do with where you do your undergrad. As long as your friend is not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, he is considered an international student.

That said, it's alarming that your friend is apparently so ignorant about his own immigration status that he is sending random buddies to post questions like this on internet forums (not the right place to go for this information either). So tell him that.

3 hours ago, ExponentialDecay said:

International student is a visa category. It has nothing to do with where you do your undergrad. As long as your friend is not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, he is considered an international student.

That said, it's alarming that your friend is apparently so ignorant about his own immigration status that he is sending random buddies to post questions like this on internet forums (not the right place to go for this information either). So tell him that.

Thanks for the reply!

And oh no, he didn't ask me to ask this on forum. I just noticed this trend of applicants on the forum and asked him about it, and he said he should be international still, but was not sure after I asked him about it. Anyway thanks again for the answer!