What should matter most when deciding?

This is my third time applying for Literature PhDs, and I've been fortunate/lucky enough to be accepted at several schools so far. I was wondering if anyone had a good sense of how to break down the decision of where to go. Here are the issues that are most troubling/confusing to me:

1) How much does reputation matter? How do you rank reputation? If I'm looking at a US News and World Reports ranking from 1999 and one school is 120th and another is in the top 20, should that weigh heavily in my decision? Or should I simply ask them how good they are at placing their grads in jobs and use that as my 'reputation' metric?

2) How important is it (in English) to have a faculty member you want to work with? When this process began I targeted several scholars who have published copiously in my intended area; is there any way I might be able to find out how well-respected/famous these people are in their respective fields? (Been out of the game a little while, so I haven't been to many conferences or have had much contact with other students). Is it better to attach yourself to a young up-and-comer or someone who has been around a long while?

3) Teaching. How much is too much? I've read that anything more than one class a semester is exploitation. If that is so, is one class plus tutoring work exploitation? At what point does the teaching load interfere with classes and research?

4) Foreign languages. Ugh. In principle, I agree that having working knowledge of foreign languages is a good thing for a scholar. But on the other hand, I'm scared to death of this requirement. Not really a question, just an observation. Some schools require 2, some 1, and others seems to have no requirement. Obviously, I'm leaning towards the latter, but I think it's a bad idea to base my decision on this characteristic alone.

5) Funding. As long as there is a tuition waver and some sort of stipend, the actual amount doesn't really matter to me. However, some schools have indicated that the funding doesn't start until the second year. Does this mean I need to pay tuition for the first year? Other schools indicate they fund years 1-4 (with year 5 added in on a conditional basis). Should I be looking for five guaranteed years? Six? Anyone have any idea what is customary here?

Any insights or observations would be very helpful during this very confused time.

I'm in the some position (sifting through programs), so I'm not sure how helpful this will be, but I'd suggest not sweating the foreign language requirement. All the faculty that I've asked have said that it's not too big of a deal. Many times they just want you do a translation and they allow you to use a dictionary. I've heard that many schools also have specific classes aimed at grad students needing to pass a language requirement. I bet you'll be surprised how quickly you can pick up a decent reading knowledge of a language. You can probably do it over a summer if you need to.

The person who invented summer language courses needs to be strangled. I'll be taking my third one this year. bleh!

My advice would be to think of the programs as complete packages. While it's true that a top 20 beats a top 120 in rigor and educational effectiveness in most cases, can you live without funding for a year? Does this mean you'll have to work a FT job while going to grad school (not suggeted)? Can you see yourself living in the area of either of these schools for 4-8 years? Is there someone who you want to work with who is interested in your project? Will you have thorough advising and support from the department, or are you on your own?

More importantly, if you have questions, I would ask the admissions secretaries. They are great sources of information, and you want to make your decision with eyes wide open.

Minnesotan, just curious, why the hate for summer language programs? I took language classes in the summer as an undergrad and liked being able to focus my attention solely on learning the language. That said, it doesn't come easy for me; I need to have time to immerse myself in order to learn anything language-wise. Also, after three summers of doing it, I'd probably hate them too. What language(s) did you study?

Sorry for the hijack, Southeast Penn.

I think I just learn languages better the old-fashioned way. Besides, they always eat up so much of my summer, when I should be doing independent research, or (gasp!) enjoying myself a little. I feel, after rushing through a bachelor's degree in three years, then writing an MA thesis, that I've been at it non-stop for five years.

I really need to refresh my third language this summer, or I would just take the time off to play video games and drink beer.

No problem. While a lot of these questions are probably best left for visits (though I don't have enough weekends to visit all the schools I applied to should they admit me; hence the questions), the info on foreign languages is helpful. When I was applying, I was of the mind that I'd go anywhere that took me and tough out the languages, if need be. Now that I have a choice, I find myself (unsurprisingly) slouching towards the path of least resistance (no languages).

But if the requirements are as lenient as Minnesotan indicates, then they shouldn't be that much of a big deal.

Also, just an update, I spent a few hours in the bookstore yesterday reading over all the generic grad school books/manuals/self-helps. Not a lot of helpful info, but one thing I did take away from it is that it may be wise, or even expected, to ask for a nicer funding package, using other offers as your bargaining chips. I wonder: anyone have any experience/ideas about that?