MPA/MPP Questions—Returning to Academia

History Time

I was speaking with a family friend a few months ago who suggested I might return to academia to work on an MPA, and that the WWS or HKS might be a good home for me. He’s a well-respected Poli-Sci prof. I have a B.A. and M.A. in History. I got okay grades during undergrad at what is more or less a second-rate party school in the Midwest, but was able to parlay that into an M.A. at UConn and did well there. Not bad, I suppose, given the circumstances. For the past five years I’ve worked in federal and state government, and currently work as a policy analyst at a small lobbying firm in the Midwest. I also serve on one of my city’s Community Councils (elected).

Let’s put aside the fact the guy might have been blowing smoke up my ass and entertain the idea that I would be accepted, complete my work, and graduate. I have a few basic questions about job prospects for those of you who have completed or are currently working through a degree at the WWS, HKS, or others.

I’m really wondering if this is something worthwhile, considering I already have a foothold established in state politics in the Midwest. Would I be committed to throwing that out, and starting fresh working in DC or elsewhere on the east coast? What are your experiences looking for jobs? If you're still in school, what are your career ambitions?

Any information would be helpful. Thanks for reading. 

Edited by History Time