Asking for a letter of recommendation without recent contact

theDKster

Just to give context:

I did research with a professor (mostly under the supervision of one of his postdoc students) about 2-2.5 years ago. In the time afterwards, however, I've unfortunately had zero contact with him.

Would it look weird if I re-establish contact just to ask for a letter of recommendation for Stats MS programs? If not, what would be the most polite way to do it? I genuinely liked that professor and thought we had a decent relationship back then, if that counts for anything (also I still have 2 months till the first of my application deadlines so this is not a rush job).

Thanks for the advice!

This shouldn't be a problem. I started applying for PhD programs about 1.5 years after I graduated from my MS program and had not kept in touch with any of the professors I asked for rec letters. Just shoot them an email with a short refresher of yourself and ask them if they would be able to write you a strong recommendation letter. And if they agree, then send them a more detailed email with all of the work you did for the professor.