Biogeochemistry MS/PhD advice? GPA?

Hulagalu67

Hello good people of the internet: I was hoping for your advice.

I want to apply for a hydro biogeochemistry (hydrology) program for a MS or PhD for Fall 2019.

I graduated May 2017 from a top 40 school (private school) with a degree a BS in biochem and a BA in Hindi (weird combination I know). During college I worked in an inorganic chem lab for 3 years but no publications. I also was ROTC the whole time to pay for school. This last year I did a Fulbright in India doing environmental water chemistry for small college in India. I am doing some environmental NGO work there now.

I want to apply for a masters or PhD in hydrology but my GPA is 3.0. I am worried I cannot get in due to my non hydrology bachelors and my low GPA.

I will take the GREs in a month.

Would appreciate any advice on what schools I should apply to that I have a chance on getting in (would prefer a funded program)? Or look for biogeochem lab work jobs and apply later?

Thank you all. All honest feedback is appreciated. 

• 5 months later...

Biogeochem grad student here: 
It's not going to matter a whole lot that you did your work in hydrology if you're interested in doing biogeochemistry. What matters is that you have the experience, potential, and a lab that wants you/will suit your needs. A 3.0 isn't horrible and I don't think it would hold you back much given some of your other credentials (Fullbright, Inorganic chem lab experience) and the fact that you did all your work while in ROTC. I guess the one caveat is that you may have to settle for getting a masters first, which isn't all bad, since you will end up getting a publication under your belt early in your PhD. 

Most programs are likely to be funded in biogeochemistry. What you need to do, though, is to make sure you pick a lab you're going to like working in (you like the work AND you like the advisor/lab group), rather than choosing the school first.