MIT's wait list

econphdus

Hi guys,

I got wait listed for MIT's PhD in Economics and I've been looking for some statistics relating to the proportion of wait listed who actually get accepted, but I couln't find anything. Does anyone know what are the chances of getting off the wait list?

Thanks!!

Why dont you email the program and ask. They will tell you how many people are on the wait list. Also, ask if they have ranked the wait list and what number you are. The number of people accepted off the wait list varies each year.

Yeah, I am wait listed at two PhD Programs. I have asked these questions too.

Why dont you email the program and ask. They will tell you how many people are on the wait list. Also, ask if they have ranked the wait list and what number you are. The number of people accepted off the wait list varies each year.

Yeah, I am wait listed at two PhD Programs. I have asked these questions too.

Thank you!! That's a smart thing to dosmile.gif (I hadn't thought of, I don't know how I managed to get into MIT's wait list... )

They said they would send an email at the beginning of April with "an update of my status". The thing is, even though I was (hypothetically) second in the wait list, would anyone decline an offer from MIT? From my point of view, being in MIT's wait list is closer to being rejected than to being admitted, isn't it?

• 2 months later...

Don't lose your hope man. It's true that no one wants to reject offer from MIT. But chances are that people who are admitted in MIT might also be admitted to U of Chicago or WashU. Some people may prefer WashU to MIT (like I do). So everything can happen. Keep your fingers crossed buddy