CCA or SFAI?

sophiab

• 3 weeks later...

Just a comment on housing in the Bay area:

If you don't mind taking the time to get up early (if needed to catch a class), and come home before midnight (when BART stops service) you should consider living in the Berkeley Co-ops...they are beautiful buildings and the rent is CHEAP (food included in price!)...and, YES, people from other schools are allowed to rent/be a part of the co-ops. If I were attending one of the schools in the SF/Berkeley/Oakland areas, I'd live there and deal with the minor commute issues. Check it out if interested:

http://berkeleystudentcooperative.org/

• 2 years later...

The fact of the matter is, SFAI isn't the school it was during the 80's or 90's, when many of my friends went there, back then, it was difficult to get in and the overall quality of work by students was alot stronger then today. SFAI use to be one of the top 5 fine art schools in the country it has sadly fell from grace, not by the lack of excellent proffessors and visiting artist who teach their but by their own administration and politics. This was truley sad to see, in the end, SFAI seems to be modeling itself after the Academy of Art University and just recruiting anyone who can qulifie for the FAFSA loan applications. Their goals seems to be getting enrollment up no matter what the incoming portfolios look like.

While this was happening to SFAI, CCA ( an already very strong fine art school) just kept getting better and better. To the point now in 2014 it's one of the best fine art schools in the country.

I would say, attend CCA.  (btw, CCA and SFAI are in now way merging)

• 5 months later...

@bjones/thalioness - Thanks for the blog link and most recent post. It really helps to confirm my decision. I had considered SFAI because my family lives in the bay area, but have decided to stay in London to attend Chelsea (part of UAL) the post-bacc in painting programme.

Edited by new moon