"Official" Transcripts

I know this is one of those things that can vary from school-to-school, but what's the general attitude towards transcripts now?  Do most schools only desire scanned copies of transcripts, requiring sealed copies for matriculation, or do most schools prefer sealed transcripts by the application due date?  There's a lot of money in this, so I'm just curious, will you be sending sealed, official transcripts to every school? 

Edited by MetaphysicalDrama

• 1 month later...

It depends on the school/program! Some schools will accept the bare minimum (a screenshot or saved file of your transcripts from your institution's website) while others require scans of transcripts that are on institutional letterhead. So far only one of the programs I am applying to has asked me to send official physical transcripts to them directly, in addition to completing my online application. The same applies for GRE scores - some schools will accept a self-reporting, others want you to upload your unofficial score report, and others want scores sent to them. I have been most successful finding this information on FAQ pages.