Recommendation letters for MFA Creative Writing?

Sueño2014

I'm planning to apply for MFA Creative Writing programs in Fiction for Fall 2019, but I'm not sure who to ask for letters of recommendation. From what I've read online, the writing sample is the most important part of the application, and the rec letters are mainly to show that the candidate is stable and will be able to complete the program. I've also read other advice, though, that said that it's pointless to get rec letters from non-writing professors or from those who can't attest to your creative writing abilities. I finished an MA in a different field last year, so I have professors who can vouch for my abilities as a student and my class participation, sanity, etc., but they can't vouch for my non-academic writing skills. Although I've been writing fairly regularly for most of my life, and I've participated in writing groups and events like NaNoWriMo, local informal writing groups, etc., I haven't taken any creative writing classes at a university for more than 10 years. When I took the university classes, my instructors told me they thought highly of my writing and thought I could be published one day (they were not the types to give out praise easily); in fact, one of the instructors contacted me about 5 years ago and offered to read anything I was working on (unfortunately, I was moving and didn't take him up on the offer, which I now regret). Should I ask them, even though I haven't had their classes for over 10 years? I've also signed up for an upcoming online writing class through a writing center in hopes that the instructor might be able to write me a letter (although that might be a bit overly optimistic, since deadlines are in December and April and the class starts this month). 

Most programs ask for 3 letters. Should I just ask 2 professors from my MA program and try to get a reference from one of my writing instructors (either one from the past or the upcoming course)? Or will it hurt my application to have 2 refs from people who aren't writers or creative writing instructors? 

My opinion is your recent MA professors are still pretty good choices. But I say this as merely an MFA hopeful that has done a bunch of research, not as someone who has ever actually applied, gotten in, or known the inner workings of a program. Based on what I've read, though, many people do not have (recent, numerous) relationships with creative writing profs that they can use for letters of recommendation. Some people even use supervisors from work or anyone else that can comment on their sanity and ability to work with others in a collegial way. Instructors of creative writing are optimal, I imagine, but it does run the gamut.

That being said, your instructor(s) from a decade-plus ago might still be viable or even preferable recommenders. If you do wanna contact them, I would talk briefly about your stint as their student and send your current sample and your statement of purpose to jog their memory and let them know what you're capable of now. (You might have planned to do this anyway; probably good practice for all letter-writers you're asking.)

Letters of recommendation are a much-discussed topic in the MFA Draft '19 Facebook group. If you haven't looked there already, request to join and then search "letter of recommendation" to see what everyone else has been saying. I have seen similar questions to yours and there you can find advice from people who have actually gotten into programs.

Edit: I just found this article. (Maybe you've seen it.) While it only expresses the view of that person, and may not ring true for all admissions committees, it seems thoughtful enough: https://kendalldunkelberg.com/2015/02/22/letters-of-recommendation-for-mfa-in-creative-writing/.

Good luck! I'm still deciding about my MFA applications this year. Not sure if I actually will apply, but good to brush up on knowledge nonetheless for the future. Hence my presence here. :)

Edited by Adelaide

• 3 weeks later...

Adelaide, Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. Sorry for the delay in responding; I just saw your response today.

It sounds like you and I have read similar advice online. While creative writing professors/instructors seem to be the best choices for LORs, it doesn't sound like a good candidate would be turned down just because of having non-CW letter writers. 

Joining the MFA Draft group is a great idea. I will definitely check it out. 

Good luck making your decision about applying or not!

• 1 year later...