My terrible GRE scores are not getting any better...

writeshere

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I have a 3.82 overall undergraduate GPA and a 4.0 in my majors (English and History w/Honors Scholar designation). I love reading, I have considerable undergraduate research experience (rare considering my major and interests), I have presented at two conferences, I have received awards from my department, I’m completing an Honors-level thesis, and I attend a decent public state university where I fostered great relationships with faculty. But I can’t get my GRE scores higher. I took the test once already and received a 153 V, a 140 Q (I realize this one is especially horrendous; this isn’t to say I don’t care about the Q section because it also detrimentally affected my cumulative score, but I’m applying for a doctoral program in English), and a 5.0 in Writing. I’m already scheduled to retake it in a couple weeks, but my practice test scores in Verbal have been stuck in the low-to-mid 150s (I think I can place my new essay scores in the 5.5 range, however). It’s humiliating, especially considering I’m trying to go to graduate school for English. And I can’t afford to retake them for a third time, considering next week I’m taking the GRE Subject Test in English.

Many of the schools I’m applying to are in the top-30 range. I had no problem articulating fit, granted I started early in my junior year researching available archival holdings, faculty, department strengths, etc. But I know my scores will immediately put me at disadvantage especially considering the significance of reading comprehension for a person interested in an English Literature doctoral program. I’m not going to revise my grad school list anymore, but I feel as though I’m setting myself up for failure by applying to highly esteemed programs. How can I possibly improve my score? How closely do Humanities programs look at them? I’m prepared at this point to hold off grad apps for another year to apply for teaching jobs and study for the GRE tests again, but I’ve worked so hard on my applications already (including my professors writing my recommendation letters) I’m unsure what to do.

7 minutes ago, english major person said:

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I have a 3.82 overall undergraduate GPA and a 4.0 in my majors (English and History w/Honors Scholar designation). I love reading, I have considerable undergraduate research experience (rare considering my major and interests), I have presented at two conferences, I have received awards from my department, I’m completing an Honors-level thesis, and I attend a decent public state university where I fostered great relationships with faculty. But I can’t get my GRE scores higher. I took the test once already and received a 153 V, a 140 Q (I realize this one is especially horrendous; this isn’t to say I don’t care about the Q section because it also detrimentally affected my cumulative score, but I’m applying for a doctoral program in English), and a 5.0 in Writing. I’m already scheduled to retake it in a couple weeks, but my practice test scores in Verbal have been stuck in the low-to-mid 150s (I think I can place my new essay scores in the 5.5 range, however). It’s humiliating, especially considering I’m trying to go to graduate school for English. And I can’t afford to retake them for a third time, considering next week I’m taking the GRE Subject Test in English.

Many of the schools I’m applying to are in the top-30 range. I had no problem articulating fit, granted I started early in my junior year researching available archival holdings, faculty, department strengths, etc. But I know my scores will immediately put me at disadvantage especially considering the significance of reading comprehension for a person interested in an English Literature doctoral program. I’m not going to revise my grad school list anymore, but I feel as though I’m setting myself up for failure by applying to highly esteemed programs. How can I possibly improve my score? How closely do Humanities programs look at them? I’m prepared at this point to hold off grad apps for another year to apply for teaching jobs and study for the GRE tests again, but I’ve worked so hard on my applications already (including my professors writing my recommendation letters) I’m unsure what to do.

I think you have a good chance, but I think you are too fixated on your GRE scores.  I don't know what all of those numbers mean, since I have yet to take the GRE, but most top-30 schools want an overall package: not everyone tests well on standardized tests, and English is "one of those subjects", that has a search committee, for people who can do more than pass a multiple choice exam.  If that makes sense.  I think you should focus more on your writing sample, since re-taking the tests, that only yield slightly improved results, is just a waste of time and money, since you are ignoring the other features that are apart of your application.  It sounds harsh, but it is true, and many people fixate so much on those final score details, that they do not realize that there is potential elsewhere.  Another option would be, to apply to "safety net" schools, that you know you would have an easier time getting into, then building your reputation and time, to get established in the field, and transfer elsewhere.  It might not be what you want to hear, but it is something to consider.  I also think that if you take this option, you should appreciate the time being spent in helping you, and not just view people as transient fields, through which to gain competence, then abandon them, when you are seen by others who are higher established in the academic field, at more reputable schools.  I think people focus on school ranking so much, that they do not appreciate the dynamics at play, and just use people as a means to an end.  Mental health is important.  I think that everyone likes being established.  Everyone wants to attend the best graduate schools, but there is a difference between working on something, and getting up to the potential of what they are looking for, than just using people, and that's where the conflict arises among the forums, that discuss college applications.  Do you mind me asking, which schools you are applying to? Maybe finding people online, and in person who attended, would be a good way to find other ways to make yourself look like a more desirable candidate, if you cannot get your test scores to improve.  

I only have a Bachelors degree in women's studies.  I graduated in August 2015, and am still talking about saving up for graduate school, that has yet to happen.  Applying as an in-state student, vs. international or out of state student, also has an impact on your consideration.  Or at least so I've heard.  I wouldn't view it as setting yourself up, but being realistic is a good idea.  Like, only applying to esteemed programs is not a good idea, since that could lead to regret later on.  Not being meant as an insult, but it is a reality that not all people with high test scores and GPAs get into programs.  Some programs take lower GPAs if they see potential in the applicant as a candidate for accomplished work.  As I said, English is one of those fields, that doesn't have a set standard: yes, they would have pre-recruisites, but they do not have just those things.  It's "one of those subjects", that has an over-all package theme.  Good luck! Feel free to DM me.  I like talking about grad school applications, even though I am still trying to apply.

I wouldn’t obsess too much about your scores, but I do think you should try to bring both up. Although math is not inherent to a program like English, basic quantitative skills speak to your ability to conduct and understand quantative research, which may still be needed for your education.

Have you tried Magoosh? Using it for about 30 minutes 4-5x per week brought my Q and V score up about 10 points each in only one month. I’m not here to promote a specific service, but it helped me a ton and allowed me to study effectively while in school and working. I ended up with 156Q and 162V after starting out with practice test scores about the same as yours.

Edited by p287

Have you thought about getting help with the GRE? My friend got a tutor for the GMAT and it helped a lot! Unfortunately, I think a lot of the time it's just jumping through hoops with these exams and despite what people think, you can be taught the techniques and what to expect - which tends to be the hardest thing for us. The unknown! 

Good  luck!!