Advice on Recommenders

p287

I am applying to media/culture/communication related PhD programs, and will have both a BA and an MA upon entering. I also have 12 years of professional experience in the field, which is the focus of my SOPs.

I am finding myself a bit concerned about LORs. I began my career immediately after high school, and completed my undergraduate degree online (but through a legitimate and very reputable school) while working full-time. I have continued to work through graduate school, so have completed half of my courses on campus and half online. As a result, I have not developed particularly close relationships with profs.

I will have one LOR from upper management at a well-known media company. I worked with this individual for over 10 years and believe it will be a very strong letter.

For my remaining two letters, I have the following three options:

Undergraduate Advisor
Pros: Would speak to my determination and success in balancing work and school, as well as my significant involvement in alumni activities (volunteer mentoring working undergraduates)
Cons: Will highlight online undergraduate degree (potential stigma), advisor is staff rather than faculty (not a prof/PhD)

Graduate Research Supervisor
Pros: PhD who is supervising me in my role as an RA, highlights graduate-level research
Cons: Just started with this supervisor in September, so do not have a long relationship

Graduate School Professor
Pros: PhD who is supportive of my applying to programs and who graded my best paper
Cons: This prof took over one of my courses after the original prof had a family emergency -- we have emailed quite a bit since then and she is very supportive, but she does not know me that well

Any advice on these options would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by p287

@p287 I am not an expert on this, but I think it would be good if one your recommendations was from your undergraduate and the other from your graduate school experience so that the admission committee can get an all-encompassing view on your education. I think the undergraduate advisor would be good, if even they aren't faculty, because they can speak about your alumni activities, they have known you for some time, and they could explain how good your online program is in comparison to on-campus programs.

Additionally, I think your third recommender should be your grad school professor. It seems grad schools like having professors as recommenders and it seems like even though you haven't known her for long time, she knows your academic work. However, the graduate school supervisor would be good too since they can speak about your experiences as a researcher.

You want to choose people that can talk about different parts of you on a personal and academic level so the admission committee can see how dynamic you are.

I hope that helps, and good luck!

Edited by Moods 2.0