I'm confused...

Nikki

Last year I applied to five schools and was rejected from all of them. Before this application season I worked as a research assistant, got a new letter of recommendation, and wrote a new SOP. This time I was accepted to five schools, but two were consolation MAs and one was an unfunded PhD. That leaves two schools and my dilemma:

I want to study 20th century US naval/military history and get a PhD.

School A: PhD program in military history

Should be getting an out of state tuition waiver and a small scholarship ($1,000)

Uncommon for first years to get dept. funding, but funding is common the other years

At this point I'm not sure if the funding is definite or for how much (they've been on break)

School B: MA in Maritime Studies/naval history

Out of state tuition waiver, scholarship to cover remaining tuition, TA position with stipend - all for 2 years

This school wants an answer by March 24th

I'm going to call Monday morning and talk to the department at school A to see what the deal is with funding for the other years (amounts, if all the post first years have it, etc).

I'm not sure what to do! Is it dumb to turn down the MA for possible funding at the PhD? Should I do the MA and then reapply again later? I'm just not sure I want to have to apply again in two years.

Any suggestions?