How important is school rank-Trying to Decide which school to choose...

geochic

I'm in the good position of being offered comparable funding packages and assistantships at two great grad programs.

School "A" is not particularly highly regarded and is ranked overall as a tier four university by US news. It's not particularly competitive either but so far I've really liked the communication I've had with the faculty, I like the degree emphasis coursework, and the research project I will likely pursue is really suited to my professional interests although I may have to secure a lot of my funding for the research. This program does not have a PhD program. I'm not sure what the size of the dept is but I'd guess it's something like 20 students given the number of advising faculty and the MS degrees issued per year. The school is located in a reasonably inexpensive area very close to my family so I will have help with my children should I need it. However, the city is rather boring and unenticing, otherwise.

School "B" is a tier one school and ranked in the top fifty for my field by us news. It is a competitive well-funded program and I know that most if not all of my thesis work will likely be subsidized. The coursework is exciting, there is a PhD program and the research project is certainly interesting though not as tantalizing as A. The number of actived students in the program is enormous (like 50+ students) and the faculty is incredible academically-speaking. I haven't had near as much interaction w/ the department as a whole and some of the interaction with school B has been a lot more formal than with school A so a little more intimidating and less welcoming. I will probably enjoy the area more at school B but housing is more expensive as is childcare, and since it is further away from my family I will not have the access to help with the kids for field work and such so I will either have to make other arrangements or travel several hours out of my way to take the kids to grammas which is okay but still something to consider. The job market in the area is far better so if I should decide to stay I can likely find something lucrative in my field.

Right now I'm focused on getting my MS but I am worried that a grad degree from a tier four school may be a detriment should I decide to pursue a PhD later. So I guess the dilemma is I like School A better for the research, the proximity to my family, and the faculty's warm and inviting friendliness, but school B is definitely better on paper, is in a cooler area, and might afford more professional and academic opportunities. Aack I wish I could've visited the campuses but nobody extended the offer and I cannot afford the trip myself.

Thanks for any advice!

I may have a similar dilemma if I get into this one school. For me, I'm going to research job placements. If my cheap(er) and easy lower ranked school has comparable job placement statistics then I'm going with that one. If I DID want a PhD later and to teach at a four year college then I would definitely go for the higher ranked school. I wouldn't worry too much about how interesting the city is. I bet being in a graduate program full time, having kids and possible applying for another degree will keep you plenty occupied.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope I'm not too late. While some programs to which I was accepted offered travel expenses up front, others obliged once I inquired, at least putting me up for the night. I would imagine this would be a possibility at the PhD program, but maybe not at the MS program unless they're serious about recruiting--I'd think it would be in their interest to fly in a candidate who got accepted to a respectable PhD program if they want to improve their own. Maybe you can use the other offer as leverage.

As for deciding between cities, it sounds like at school B you would actually be able to afford daycare between the secured funding at the school and the job opportunities in the surrounding area. School A could mean a longer time to degree completion if you can't secure funding for your research or some courses aren't offered regularly. Otherwise I agree with the above poster that you will probably be too busy to really enjoy the city.

Only speaking from personal experience, but I received an MS from a VERY low ranked school and still managed to get into one of the best Ph.D. programs in my field. That being said, my application was very, very solid in terms of GREs, GPA, LORs, and experience. I don't think my lackluster MS school hurt my chances!

My advice is to take the lower cost master's option. That way, your debt will be manageable when you get to the Ph.D. stage. And by lower cost, I don't mean just from a tuition perspective.

Difficult choice! Good luck!

I'm a bit confused. The "tier" system is mostly used for the undergraduate rankings. There are separate ranking by your specific discipline for graduate schools, and at least in the sciences (I'm assuming your geology as listed in your profile) they only list to the top hundred or so, and even less in the specific sub-fields, which is no where near large enough for the tier system. If you are using undergrad rankings, disregard them! I was told a school's undergrad ranking has very little impact on how they are perceived for graduate school. Focus on the graduate school rankings for your field, they are much more accurate on how future PhD programs or employers will view the school's reputation in your area.