2 More Language Questions

NervousNellie

I'll join the crowd in posting some language questions.

1. Does Yale Div require written or oral competancy in a language prior to graduation? I have been accepted and am anticipating challenges I'll have in the program if I accept, and how to begin getting ready now.

2. I have absolutely *no* language background. As within someone else who posted recently, I have a very difficult time picking up languages. In fact, I spent much of my early childhood in a semi-bilingual environment and only picked up English! The last language course I took was in my first year in high school, many, many years ago. By that time I had essentially had four years of Spanish, but I hardly had basic conversation skills. I eventually gave up (and I remember only a handful of Spanish words), though I am looking forward to the challenge of giving-it-a-go with languages again. I know that I ought to learn something. I would like to begin learning either Latin or Hebrew, or both. Maybe I am repeating a question asked by someone else recently on the forum, but I guess what I am asking is what is the best "starter" approach to languages. I really feel that I am starting from scratch.

I'm not studying religion, rather I study Russian, but I thought I could give you some advice on some things you could do that will help you pick up languages a bit easier before you head off to graduate school. The first thing I would suggest, is if you are planning on studying a language like Hebrew, learn the alphabet before you start taking classes. Somewhere online I am certain you can find a tutorial on the Hebrew alphabet. Knowing these letters before you start class will help decrease your stress immensely during the first few weeks of class. The next thing you can do, if you have time, is pick up some basic words and phrases you know are going to be essential either for your class or for your future research. While language classes are always a bit overwhelming, at least for me, memorizing some important foundational words and the alphabet before hand really got me off to a less stressful start. Someone in your field might even be able to suggest some software to help you get started, or you can email a professor who teaches the languages you are interested in at one of your potential schools and ask for a past syllabus. Best of luck!

NervousNellie, I suggest thinking about what it is you want to study and pass on to others. What language is most necessary to do research in that area? Which subject in the Divinity curriculum appeals to you most? What topic motivated you to apply? If you are considering doctoral study, German or French would be helpful now and probably necessary later.