Environmental Policy

15 members have voted

1. 1. If you're interested in Environmental Policy, are you going for the MEM, MPA, or MPP?

• MEM
    • MPA
    • MPP

As many of you know, there are very few schools that focus specifically on environmental policy. One can get an MEM with a focus on policy; another can get an MPA or MPP and focus on environmental sciences.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the MEM is more scientific, the MPP is focused on quantitative skills, and the MPA equips students with management skills. Job-wise, how much science, economics, and management skills will I actually need to say, work for the EPA? I'm having trouble deciding which program to choose.

What is your approach to environmental policy? And what made you choose that?

As many of you know, there are very few schools that focus specifically on environmental policy. One can get an MEM with a focus on policy; another can get an MPA or MPP and focus on environmental sciences.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the MEM is more scientific, the MPP is focused on quantitative skills, and the MPA equips students with management skills. Job-wise, how much science, economics, and management skills will I actually need to say, work for the EPA? I'm having trouble deciding which program to choose.

What is your approach to environmental policy? And what made you choose that?

I have also been thinking about this question. I think you're right about the relative focuses (foci?) of the MEM/MPP. But I think the MEM is not only more scientific, but also more management-oriented than an MPP, and thus maybe closer to a traditional MPA.

I'm not sure there is a clear answer here, but I'd think about looking at the specific positions where you imagine yourself. Is your ideal EPA job something that sounds like "environmental scientist" or is it something like "analyst" or something involving "program evaluation"? Personally, I'm inclined to the MPP, because I like the general skills it provides. MEM is a narrower degree, more focused on environmental management, while one could take an MPP in several directions if your interests change in the future.

Edited by wooldogg

I've been struggling to figure out this exact question for the last year as well, and have tried to find programs that: (1) satisfy my interests in strong environmental science and research skills (with strengths in certain ecosystems and regions), (2) provide the interdisciplinary management and quantitative skills needed to work in any sector, and (3) have a strong enough reputation so that I will be able to successfully enter the job market.

In other words, the lone MEM degrees (e.g. Duke, Yale, UC Santa Barbara) satisfy my main scientific interests, but they seem to be a bigger question mark to me in terms of how employers will perceive their usefulness (I may be wrong about this since I still don't have many professional contacts in the field). There are no MEM program rankings that I've been able to find, and only a handful of schools (UMich and Indiana in addition to the 3 mentioned) that seem to really push the environmental management concept. On the other hand, MPP's do have national rankings, and a lot more data is out there on graduate success in employment.

So I decided to also apply to dual-degree programs (MEM/MPP) where the MPP existed as a strong option. UMich, Indiana (actually Masters of Public Affairs), and Duke are all particularly strong in this, and U Maryland has a similar dual-degree (MPP with MS in Conservation Biology). MPP's from these prestigious schools seem to have very strong success in the job markets (don't know much about UMD), and you can do these programs in 3 years maximum.

In summary, I'll only go to a school that is very strong in the environmental sciences; that's my main interest. But I want the bonus of the MPP for greater chance of career success.