Backing out of an offer

wish27

I have read many people say that you may have to accept one offer by the April 15th deadline, before you hear from your waitlisted school.

What happens if you sign the document/contract? for school A and decide that you want to go to school B (if accepted after April 15th)?

Do I have any legal responsibility to attend the school B, if I sign on " the bottom line"?

If you change your mind before the deadline, you can just notify school A that you decided not to go there, and accept school B's offer. They're not going to like you for it, but they can't stop you. After April 15 you will have to get permission from school A before you can accept school B's offer. Again, that might be possible, but it's frowned upon and will likely ruin any connections you had at school A.

• 2 weeks later...

What if you have to back out for financial reasons? I accepted an offer at one school, but from what they've told me, my first year nonresident funding is based on whether I get a FLAS fellowship or not, and those won't be announced till June. If I don't get it, I absolutely cannot go, and I'm unwilling to take on any loans. When I emailed professors and DGS'es at the school, I told them that I would be happy to come if I was financially able to. I plan on reapplying to better-funded programs next year if it doesn't pan out this time round. Is this frowned upon as well?