Profile Evaluation -Statistics Phd fall 19

mg1338

Undergrad School: IIT (India)

Undergrad Major: Applied Physics (Integrated masters and bachelors)                                Undergrad GPA: 8.03 out of 10.00(equivalent to A grade, grading system is  A+,A,B+,B.....)

Master's School: Rutgers University                               Master's GPA: 3.93 out of 4.00

GRE: Q = 169, V = 163 , AW = 4.5                                     Math Subject GRE: 820

Additional Info: Took proof based linear algebra, honors abstract algebra, honors analysis 1 and real analysis 1 and 2 at Rutgers. All were A's. Also all A's except 2 B+'s(in multivariate analysis and categorical statistics) in masters degree.

Research Experience: Several REU's and a master's thesis during physics degree. Will try to argue that this research will be connected to statistics as it used techniques such as dimension reduction. 

Recommendations:

1.From math professor in real analysis 1(Distinguished Professor,Rutgers):- Will be strong as he said I was the top student in the class.

2. From math professor  for real analysis 2 and honors analysis 1(Distinguished Professor,Rutgers):- Will be strong as he said I was near the top in both classes.

3.  From math professor  for honors abstract algebra 1(Associate Professor,Rutgers)::- Not sure but would think will be good as I got 99/100 in the final exam.

Applying:

Reach(colleges ranked between 15-25)

Match(colleges ranked between 26-35)

Safety(colleges ranked between 35-50)

I base the colleges I am applying to on the fact that I know of people from my masters program who have got into UNC-chapel hill, Texas a&m and Purdue(the students were internationals) with a profile similar to mine. Although I realize a lot of it depends upon chance,hence I am placing these colleges in the reach category.Any comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

Edited by mg1338

I probably should have mentioned the colleges I will be applying to and not just the ranking range so here they are

Reach - UNC Chapel Hill, Penn State, Texas A&M, Purdue

Match - Ohio State, Rutgers, UIUC , Florida

Safety- Irvine, George Washington, UCSB

I think your profile looks pretty good, and your list of schools is good too. I don't think those schools on your "reach" list are necessarily reaches. The IIT's are considered the top schools in India, besides ISI and University of Calcutta, and you performed well in your Masters program in Statistics at Rutgers. Rutgers also has a good reputation, with famous professors like Cun-Hui Zhang.

I think you could afford to try a few schools like NCSU, Wisconsin, or Minnesota, honestly.

Edited by Stat PhD Now Postdoc