MS in Computer Science..UCSD or UPenn?

Newdrummer

I've been accepted into the Masters program at University of California San Diego and University of Pennsylvania. UCSD is higher in Computer Science ranking but UPenn is Ivy. My goal is a PhD in Computer Science at a top university. Which program will give me the best chance of getting into the best PhD school?

I've been accepted into the Masters program at University of California San Diego and University of Pennsylvania. UCSD is higher in Computer Science ranking but UPenn is Ivy. My goal is a PhD in Computer Science at a top university. Which program will give me the best chance of getting into the best PhD school?

Having stated what you wanted.. it seems to me that your consideration is irrelevant.... you might want to consider, instead, which school/PIs will give you the highest chance of getting admitted into your "top university"... because I think neither the CS ranking or Ivy tag is critical for admission to top US school.

SD ranks higher overall (ARWU) and ranks much higher in Engineering/CS. If the state school offers you anywhere near the money I'd say thats the better choice. Also SD is way nicer imho... but I might be a little biased, since theres a good chance I'm headed there.

I'm gonna have to agree with canuck on this one. La Jolla is hella beautiful and UCSD is situated on some of the best SoCal beachfront property (not to mention some of the best surfing opportunities). Also, they have the In N Out Burger eateries. Best damned burgers evaaar!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...