How to make myself more qualified for PhD admissions in epidemiology?

So I completed my applications for 2019 rounds of admissions. In the event that I do not get accepted I am asking here regarding how to improve my chances for future applications.

While it maybe nice to get into top 5 schools (Hopkins, Harvard, UW etc), I am also realistic about my deficiencies so I'm looking for advice that can help me get into top 10, 15 or 20 schools.

Here is my SOPHAS GPA breakdown:

https://imgur.com/a/mle3NTk

Experiences

Currently working as a clinical dietitian. I have went through extensive rotarions in the dietetic internship which allowed me to come into contact with a variety low income populations and assist efforts in a variety of public health related nutrition programs.

Research

No publications. My masters programs was special on that it was combined with the dietetic internship. However, we did conduct an unfunded research project which I was the coder and the statistician. We did have a rather large sample size and since it involved students we did have to go through the IRB. We have a written manuscript and is styled as if it is to be peer reviewed.

During undergrad I was also part of a USDA nutrition lab on campus and a cancer research lab in a nationally recognized cancer center. No authored papers here however.

GRE

Both verbal and quantitative scores in the 80th percentiles. Writing 4.5. May have to retake the test in two years. 

With this said, I understand that my undergraduate GPA is a huge turnoff. Are there anything I can do to offset this? My masters is in an unrelated field (I am currently working as a clinical dietitian.) Should I pursue another more public health relevant master's?

Should I seek more related research experience and hope to author some papers? If so what labs should I try to apply for and where would I find them?

Should I try to apply for some direct public health experience? Such as the CDC's PHAP program? What are some other programs out there like this?

Thanks, your inputs are greatly appreciated!

Edited by tryinnaaskquestions

I agree with your current suggestions because between your experiences and research I can't tell if you understand the demands of an Epi program or why you would want to pursue a PhD in Epi specifically. 

Coursework: A more relevant masters would be good. Perhaps a more affordable program such as online/blend since you already have a masters. Instead of a master, you could also take a few classes or do a summer workshop. Here is an example, hosted by Columbia University:  https://www.mailman.columbia.edu/research/epidemiology-and-population-health-summer-institute-columbia-university-epic

Research: Additionally experience working with data sets and using statistical software(s) - authorship would be nice but not necessary. You should build up your skillset related to epi. What exactly was your sample size, saying "large" is vague.. was it over 300?  Have you considered trying to get the manuscript published? 

Experience: I'm not familiar with programs you can apply to; however, applying to them would only strengthen your application if this round doesn't end well. Also, look at the publically available resume/CV of people working in the epi field - see what work/programs they completed before entering their doctoral program.

Hope that helps! A little about me - I submitted my apps for Fall 2019 for Behavioral Science/Health Ed program. I've been working in research of 8 years including my undergrad years. I have an MPH.  I've been working as a public health researcher at a med school full time for 3 years as the lead on several projects. 

Good Luck!