Am. Studies or US History?

I'm trying to decide between two programs... perhaps some of you can offer some thoughts on this decision? This sort of reduces to the classic "American Studies or History?" issue, so if any of you can speak to that...

School A:

State school, top 20 program, history department. Solid placement record.

No fellowship money, but would receive tuition remission + health insurance + fees + small stipend each semester for TAing second year and beyond (assuming good academic progress).

Academically, decent fit - my interests/project are interdisciplinary, though, so I'd have to (with some difficulty) get involved in other departments or centers.

School's in a small town: not totally boring, but not near a big city (I'm hoping for a more urban environment, but not totally closed-minded to something smaller scale).

School B:

State school, not really sure of ranking since American Studies programs aren't traditionally ranked. Small program, okay placement record, not as good as School A.

Recruitment fellowship for first two years; have to apply for continuing fellowships after that (but TAship offered).

Academically, great fit - there are a lot of faculty members who study what I want to study across several fields. But I wouldn't get a degree in a traditional discipline like history.

School's in a great medium-sized city, lots to do, fun area, etc.

Any thoughts are much appreciated! I know there are a ton of these threads going on right now but I need all the advice I can find...

Well, doesn't this really depend on where you want to teach? If you want to be in an interdisciplinary department, then go with an interdisciplinary degree, but if you want to teach in a history department, then go for the history degree. I suppose the latter might give you the ability (or the flexibility) to teach at an interdisciplinary program too, but I would think having a degree from a more established discipline (history) would be a "safer" choice.

Well, doesn't this really depend on where you want to teach? If you want to be in an interdisciplinary department, then go with an interdisciplinary degree, but if you want to teach in a history department, then go for the history degree. I suppose the latter might give you the ability (or the flexibility) to teach at an interdisciplinary program too, but I would think having a degree from a more established discipline (history) would be a "safer" choice.

Except there aren't all that many interdisciplinary jobs--interdisciplinary departments ("[X] Studies") are typically comprised of professors from different disciplinary departments. An interdisciplinary PhD ideally trains you really, really well in a traditional discipline (history, English, etc) so you can look for jobs in those departments. Departments at top schools tend to be warier of hiring people with interdisciplinary degrees.

Honestly? I would say go for the history program, despite location. I realize that this might sound hypocritcal, b/c after all I'm going to an interdisciplinary program next year, but it is one of the very few with a stellar job placement record. (I would rather take all history classes or all religion classes and get a job than take a mix and be out of work, ya know?)

i tend to agree with the general advice to follow the money. on top of funding from school B, it looks like the fit and location are better for you. i think that's just as important as the fact they've offered you funding for your first years there and expects you to apply for funding following those years. well, i've heard that the experience of writing for fellowships and grants for subsequent funding gives you an edge on the market, too, especially if you're successful.

while there may not be many interdisciplinary jobs (now) on the market, interdisciplinary departments and the number of them are growing. but regardless, you could make sure to have a strong background in a particular discipline that is more traditional in order to ensure you marketability in the event that interdisciplinary departments remain uninterested in hiring students of their own programs.

in your shoes, i'd go with school B because location, funding and fit are really important to me and, in those regards, I think school B outshines school A. i also tend to agree with the general idea that it is not the program/department/school that matters when compared to what you do with it. you could make sure you do what you need to do for your career at either place but school B sounds most appealing.

If you really like the Amer studies program, I would say go for it. 1. while there are less amer. studies jobs there are also a lot less amer. studies PhD programs, thus PhDs to compete against. Go where the fit is best, but don't go somewhere you can't afford to go either. And you do have to live at the location for at least five years, and miserable students don't do well!