Likelihood of getting second-year aid in IR?

Hey everyone! I feel very uneducated about this whole financial aid thing, so I thought I'd ask a few of you for some thoughts.

I was lucky to be accepted to two programs I am very interested in -- the public diplomacy tracks at both Syracuse and GW. Both have offered me types of aid that would amount to roughly $24,000 -- but GW's is a one-time scholarship that will be stretched out during the two years. Syracuse's is a TA position that last for one year.

SO... if I were to obtain another type of graduate assistantship during my second year at Syracuse, I would come out (financially) very far ahead of where I would be at GW. But, if I don't, it's really a toss up. I inquired about this and was told that I can certainly apply for an assistantship again, but it doesn't sound like they are able to make any commitment until next year.

Anyone familiar with Syracuse's IR/Journalism program know the likelihood of getting aid your second year, if you received some your first? Or, in general, does this typically happen in IR programs? Any thoughts as to how I can sort this out in my number-crunching?