Low BS and MS GPA, can't be admitted into PhD, can't get a job. What can I do? Any advices?

WisdomAndIntelligence

Got my MS degree last year, but still working on a paper with my advisor at the grad school. During the undergrad, I had dropped out my first major in the 3rd year, then started another major. I have Computer Science BS and Operations Research MS degrees, specialized on discrete event simulation.

I got my BS and MS degrees with a mediocre 3.0 GPA. Because of my low GPA, it is almost impossible for me to be admitted into a reputable PhD program. I also cannot get a job because of my age and inexperience. I'm 29 years old, that's too old to start a PhD.

What can I do? Do you have any advices?

@WisdomAndIntelligence I wouldn't say a 3.0 would make it impossible to get a PhD. It might be the minimum for programs, but I don't think you should let that discourage you. You could talk to the graduate program coordinator for the schools you might be interested in and discuss your worries about your GPA. Your application is more than just your GPA, though. It is your references, your essays, your GRE scores, and your experiences. Since you got your Master's, I am suspecting you have research experience from that, so that counts as experience in my mind. Also, the fact that you are writing paper is good. If you can't get a job in the area you are interested in and want more research experience, maybe volunteer with a professor. It might lead to a paid position over time, but even volunteering can be a good experience.

Also, in my opinion, 29 years old is not too late. It may feel like you are behind since most people entering PhDs are around 21 or 22, but I don't think you should feel bad about entering school at an older age. One of my classmates who was in the same undergraduate classes and graduating year was in her mid-30's when she started her undergrad, so you shouldn't let your age discourage you.

I have also attached some other forums on GradCafe that may help. I wish I could give you more answers, but I hope this helps somewhat.

Edited by Moods 2.0