NYU IFA

georgica2

Which people? Which subdisciplines? Please, please share your wisdom. I was really excited to get in, but this place is starting to sound like Dante's Inferno!

I've been chatting with a bunch of people via PM about specific fields - feel free to message me. It's pretty easy to figure out what I studied, and thus figure out who I am, via these message boards, so I was hesitant to even comment about the IFA to begin with, and I'm not really willing to critique every prof/subfield publicly here. Ultimately, these are my opinions and the opinions of some of my peers. Everyone has a different opinion. I don't mean to have a negative spin on the IFA, just because my experience wasn't positive (along with many of my peers). If you look back a few years, the posts about the IFA were much more negative that what I've been saying. I have been trying to stress that your experience there is very dependent on what you want to do with your degree, what your financial background is, and what your field is. I can only be honest with what I observed, and you have to figure out if it is the right fit for you.

Has anyone actually been admitted to IFA's PhD program for Art History? I looked over the results, and I see a few rejections and a bunch of rejected-PhD-admitted-MA (including myself), but no outright PhD admits.

I applied to NYU-IFA PhD only and have received no feedback as of April 2, 2010.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone from the MA acceptances actually received any information...whatsoever...on the program? The letter I received was basically just a notification of admission and I don't really know what to expect from NYU or from the program, how to prepare. The website's MA requirements are still posted as a "proposal" so I'm not sure how valid they are...will we need one language or two...when do we sign up for classes, etc? Need more info!