Canadian MFAs

eauclare

This is my first post here, and since I wasn't finding much info on Canadian schools, I thought I'd start it as a new topic.

I'm in my 3rd year of a BFA at Concordia University in Montreal, QC (not listed below as you need a 2-year gap to pursue an MFA after getting a BFA there, and I'd like to go somewhere new). I'm starting to seriously research schools and narrow down where I'd like to go. I feel like I'm likely to stay in Canada as going to US seems incredibly complicated and expensive, but maybe I shouldn't write it off. I also have dual Irish citizenship so I'd like to look at Europe -- but for now I'm focusing on what's available here.

These are the schools I'm currently looking into (listed from West to East) with my current favourites bolded:

• University of Victoria (Victoria, BC)
  • Emily Carr School of Art + Design (Vancouver, BC)
  • University of British Columbia (Vancouver, BC)
  • University of Alberta (Edmonton, AB)
  • University of Regina (Regina, SK)
  • University of Saskatchewan (Saskatoon, SK)
  • University of Manitoba (Winnipeg, MB)
  • University of Western Ontario (London, ON)
  • OCAD University (Toronto, ON)
  • University of Toronto (Toronto, ON)
  • York University (Toronto, ON)
  • NSCAD University (Halifax, NS)

Honestly I don't want to go to Toronto because it's dense, expensive, and has incredibly hot summers (I barely survive the heat waves in Montreal as it is). But it has good schools so I feel obliged to look into it before writing it off.

What I'm looking for is a program with good facilities for painting, where I can push my painting with good mentorship and rigorous conceptual learning. I know interdisciplinary art is hot right now, and I'm not against that (I've taken classes in performance, multimedia, fibres and liked it) but I don't want to end up somewhere where the interdisciplinary focus means there's no one who can mentor as a *painter*. At the end of the day, that's my passion and that's what drives me.

Anyway, I would love any advice from people currently applying to or attending a school in Canada. Or any Canadian citizens doing an MFA in the US and not accruing astronomical student debt - is it doable? What schools in Canada are best for painting? Are there any resources for researching Canadian MFAs I should know about? Any schools I should add to my list? General advice?

• 4 months later...

Hi eauclare,

You might want to also consider which city you'd like to live in following grad school. One of the most rewarding parts about doing an MFA is the community you begin to build, so choosing a program close to where you envision spending some extended time (of course this can always change) is not the worst idea.

I would encourage you to look at the University of Guelph, which is a very well respected program in Canada, and has many alumni that have strong national and international careers, and offers relatively good funding through TAships and bursaries. They also have a really strong reputation for painting and they are always well represented in the RBC painting competition, with many alumni as winners. I would consider it a strength of that program. It also a good community in Toronto.

Other schools that have strong painting programs include the University of Victoria and Concordia, but you said Concordia was not an option for you.

U of T, UBC and the University of Western Ontario all have a very theoretical focus, but are good programs if that is what you are looking for. 

I would ask your painting profs too. I'm sure Janet Werner would have some good recommendations. 

Best of luck!