LOW GPA FOR MASTER PROGRAM (Mathematics)

BANGtheory

Long story short, I firstly went to community college and transferred to my undergrad institution. I took upper division math during my undergrad. I got a bunch C's in real analysis and abstract algebra courses because I was lazy and mathematical immature at the time (Dealing with relationship). And I believe these main courses really hurt me. But somehow I raised my GPA from 2.7 to 3.0 in my last two quarter because I got almost all A in my last two quarter, 3 math classes and 2 management courses(non-math). The courses that I got A or A+ include PDE, Complex analysis, numerical  analysis, numerical linear programing and nonlinear approximation in numerical analysis. My interests are numerical analysis, combinatorial  game theory and analysis. I graduated with B.S. in mathematics with only 3.03  from a top 20 mathematics program (graduate ranking) in the U.S with no research experiences. And my GPA is relatively low compared with some students. I want to know if I have chance applying to some mid-tier master program such as USC, UCI etc.... Any recommendations would help me. I am kinda stressed out because I did really bad in analysis courses.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any specific reason as to why you want to do a Master's in Math? Perhaps a Master's in Applied Math may suit you better, since you performed better in more applied-type classes. The latter is far more applicable in industry anyways, whereas the former only brings to mind PhD dropouts and those who want to go into math education.

To be honest, I'm not familiar with the competetiveness of these programs but I think you almost certainly have a shot at some mid-tier schools, most likely the ones that are cash cows. Find those mid-tier programs that advertise themselves ad nauseam and you'll probably get in.

If you want to improve your odds, I'd strongly recommend studying for the GRE Math Subject test and getting a percentile of at least 70%. This might convince a couple ad coms that your grades in math are to some extent flukes, and that you are actually qualified for a Master's in the subject.

Edited by theduckster