How to pick who should write your LORs

So I'm a web developer looking into graduate programs with the goal of ending up in a more technically engaging role (eg data scientist). Most will be online programs in computer science.

I had two solid LORs in college, which for me was over 5 years ago. With them I was able to get into my top choice summer research program, and I led them to believe I would also apply to grad school eventually. I believe that I could respectable letters from my current supervisor and from my previous supervisor (who just left the company). I also recently took a course at a local school and did very well, so it could be a source for a letter though the course was not a STEM course. 

I'm not sure how to decide between them. On the one hand I think these programs will generally prefer academic letters, but will they feel the same way about professors who taught me one course 6 or 7 years ago? Would a letter from a recent academic source be considered useful, even if they are not in the same field as the intended program? And where do letters from supervisors fit into this equation?

One thing that's influenced my perspective was UC Berkeley's online data science masters application (Not sure if I will end up applying there). They ask if one of the letters is from your current direct supervisor, and if not, to explain why. This led me to believe that programs like this, geared primarily towards working professionals with several years of experience who will study part-time, may actually not care as much as traditional programs about letters from college professors.

Any advice or suggestions welcome...

Edited by BrometheusBob

• 1 month later...

Hi Bob, I had a somewhat similiar situation as yours. I studied, then worked for a long time, then studied, then applied to a PhD program. So I wanted my LORs to reflect my varied work and study experiences. What I ended up doing was submit four letters instead of the standard three. I found out it was permitted and went ahead and asked four people: two profesors who had taught me several courses in the last four years, one very well-known professor who taught me several courses six years ago, and one professor who was my supervisor over six years ago. It seems it went fine and helped my application. I think it's good to include a work supervisor because it shows you have a variety of skills and abilities. Work experience is where your leadership and organizational abilities often shine. And it's a good idea to choose people who have known you over a longer period of time and worked with you extensively, whenever possible. Their testimony about your skills and character has more weight, I believe. 

• 4 months later...
On 2/6/2019 at 9:19 AM, theofan said:

Hi Bob, I had a somewhat similiar situation as yours. I studied, then worked for a long time, then studied, then applied to a PhD program. So I wanted my LORs to reflect my varied work and study experiences. What I ended up doing was submit four letters instead of the standard three. I found out it was permitted and went ahead and asked four people: two profesors who had taught me several courses in the last four years, one very well-known professor who taught me several courses six years ago, and one professor who was my supervisor over six years ago. It seems it went fine and helped my application. I think it's good to include a work supervisor because it shows you have a variety of skills and abilities. Work experience is where your leadership and organizational abilities often shine. And it's a good idea to choose people who have known you over a longer period of time and worked with you extensively, whenever possible. Their testimony about your skills and character has more weight, I believe. 

Thanks.... ?