Am I being officially waitlisted?

strider

Hi all,

I got the following letter from admissions co-ordinator of Georgia Tech for MS in ME:

We are in receipt of your application to the Woodruff School of Mechanical

Engineering at Georgia Tech. You have a very strong file and great

credentials. Thank you for your interest in Georgia Tech!

You have not been offered admission, but at the present time your file has

been made available for viewing by the faculty of the Woodruff School via an

internal web page. If a faculty member views your file and expresses an

interest in working with you, we will notify you and continue to process

your application. This evaluation will continue until July 1, 2008 and we

will advise you of our decision at the latest by that date.

In the meanwhile, if you receive another admission and financial aid offer

and need to make an earlier decision, please inform us and we will try to

expedite the consideration of your application.

Please feel free to contact me if you have further questions.

Sincerely, Dr. Wayne Whiteman

Does this mean that a first list of admits has already been made and I am not a part of it.. or does this look like a default procedure for all likely candidates? Do they use any different language when conveying that you have been waitlisted, not admitted?

Its not that this has got me sweating or anything... just wanted to know what others think :)

Does this mean that a first list of admits has already been made and I am not a part of it.. or does this look like a default procedure for all likely candidates?

This sounds like a default procedure to me. I've heard of similar things before. At least one faculty member (potential adviser?) needs to endorse you before you're accepted, ensuring that you have somewhere to go when you arrive. Let's say a prof likes student A better than you...he accepts student A, waits for student A's decision, and if student A declines then he accepts you. Hence the July 1st deadline. :roll: Convenient for them, shitty for you - unless you're accepted very shortly, of course!

At this point I would be hopeful if I were you. Have you contacted any faculty members?

At this point I would be hopeful if I were you. Have you contacted any faculty members?

I hadn't been in contact with any of the faculty before I got this mail... but I contacted a potential adviser immediately after the mail :D

New member here.. Got the same mail about a month ago.. on Jan 11th . Contacted a few profs but guess they were already full, so got a negative reply from them.. Mailed a few other profs, but no reply from them at all.. So stopped worrying for now :| . Have to wait till my other schools reply and wait for their decisions..

Anyway got into 3 schools already so im not too tensed right now... :)

New member here.. Got the same mail about a month ago.. on Jan 11th . Contacted a few profs but guess they were already full, so got a negative reply from them.. Mailed a few other profs, but no reply from them at all.. So stopped worrying for now :| . Have to wait till my other schools reply and wait for their decisions..

Anyway got into 3 schools already so im not too tensed right now... :)

Did you get the same mail about a month ago from ME dept of GaTech itself? And you haven't heard back from any faculty yet? Wow thats not very exciting news for me is it? I guess since its a rolling admission and since I submitted my application just before the Feb 1 deadline, I am hearing about it only now. Dammit one of them's got to mail back with a yes!

What other 3 schools you heard from btw?

Well.. I wouldnt say its bad news for you.. i guess that means profs in my field are full.. CAD/CAE btw. ones i got into are OSU,USC n UFl. but i guess with my credentials i shouldnt expect too much (GRE 800q +500v/5.5). what specialization r u in..?

OK then. Fingers crossed... And as an answer to your original post.. I believe this is the default procedure.. Cause another friend of mine got the same mail.. and I applied in October.