Wildlife/fisheries/natural resources applicants

morawel

Hey! Are are others out there who are applying to graduate programs in Wildlife, Fisheries, Conservation Biology, Ecology, Forestry, or other natural resource fields? It seems like the application process for these programs is a bit different from a lot of others discussed on here. (For example, funded positions are often advertised, and it's usually necessary to get faculty sponsorship before applying, etc.)

Just thought it would be nice to have a thread for those programs. If there's anyone else out there, how are your searches going?

• 2 months later...

Hi there! I would totally agree that it seems like a weird field for applications! I'm applying for fisheries programs (and ecology programs where the PI would be open to fisheries research). I haven't actually been rejected from any schools yet, but my applications are all in limbo waiting to hear back on funding (whether from the PI or from the NSF GRFP). So the waiting game just continues.

Have you had any luck?

Edited by ktrae1006

23 hours ago, ktrae1006 said:

Hi there! I would totally agree that it seems like a weird field for applications! I'm applying for fisheries programs (and ecology programs where the PI would be open to fisheries research). I haven't actually been rejected from any schools yet, but my applications are all in limbo waiting to hear back on funding (whether from the PI or from the NSF GRFP). So the waiting game just continues.

Have you had any luck?

Hi! Yes, I finally had some luck and got an offer for a PhD position. I had been applying to lots of advertised positions for a few years, and this year I also submitted 2 formal applications at the encouragement of PIs at both universities. The offer I received was from an advertised position that I applied and interviewed for, but I didn't have any luck with the 2 formal applications.

Good luck with applications and the GRFP! Are you applying for master's or PhD programs?

That's awesome! Congratulations! Where are you headed?

The prevalence of advertised positions definitely seems different than other fields. I applied for a PhD through ECOLOG that they ended up offering to someone else but then they encouraged me to apply to the university anyways.

And I'm applying for primarily PhD programs and then one master's. I've got four applications submitted at this point with two dependent on funding and one invitation for an interview (that I leave for tomorrow actually!).

23 hours ago, ktrae1006 said:

That's awesome! Congratulations! Where are you headed?

The prevalence of advertised positions definitely seems different than other fields. I applied for a PhD through ECOLOG that they ended up offering to someone else but then they encouraged me to apply to the university anyways.

And I'm applying for primarily PhD programs and then one master's. I've got four applications submitted at this point with two dependent on funding and one invitation for an interview (that I leave for tomorrow actually!).

Thanks! I'll be at Oregon State University. Good luck with your interview!