are acceptance letters always form letters?

I was rejected by a PhD program but accepted into their MA program, and I'm trying to gauge the department's opinion of my application based on their acceptance letter. At one point it says that "getting into the MA program doesn't guarantee admission to the PhD program later on; we usually accept one or two students per year from the MA program. The committee, however, did enjoy your writing sample a great deal and did see real potential in your application." I would just assume this is what they tell all MA admits, but I was surprised that they specifically mentioned my writing sample, as though it was my personal strong point, which it might not have been for other applicants. And then the fact that they say "we don't guarantee MA admits admission to the PhD program; however, your application seems particularly promising" tempts me into thinking they're saying I have a good chance at getting in to the doctoral program. Or do they just tell everyone this to tempt them into their MA program?

Obviously I don't expect anyone to know the answers to these questions, but I'd appreciate any thoughts people have on the matter.

Is this a funded MA? If so, I'd say you might have a decent chance at the PhD. If not, I'm inclined to say that they probably tell all of their applicants that. Most schools prioritize the writing sample over all other pieces of the application anyway, so they may not necessarily be singling you out. I would talk to the DGS and ask if you were highly ranked among those admitted to the MA, and assuming you perform well at the MA level, if your chances of being accepted into the PhD program are high. But I definitely would not take the letter as a guarantee that you will be able to go on to the PhD. Try to get some straight answers, but keep in mind that either way it's a gamble and if you'd really like to attend that school's PhD program you might just be better off reapplying next year.