MSFS vs MIA at SIPA

UGH. I would have thought this day would make me psyched, but I'm so anxious I can't sleep. I'm interested in more the banking policy/finance side of international relations. I feel like SIPA is definitely the way to go in terms of quantitative skill set enhancement--but I sorta have been getting this "cash cow" for Columbia vibe! Since SFS took only 8% of applicants, I'm feeling swayed in that direction. This is probably stupid. I'm having trouble evaluating these programs and I thought I'd ask you guys!

Thanks!

UGH. I would have thought this day would make me psyched, but I'm so anxious I can't sleep. I'm interested in more the banking policy/finance side of international relations. I feel like SIPA is definitely the way to go in terms of quantitative skill set enhancement--but I sorta have been getting this "cash cow" for Columbia vibe! Since SFS took only 8% of applicants, I'm feeling swayed in that direction. This is probably stupid. I'm having trouble evaluating these programs and I thought I'd ask you guys!

Thanks!

I wouldn't trust a lot of the vibes that go on here. You should judge each school for its individual pros and cons and then make the decision for yourself. I'm in a similar predicament w.r.t SIPA/SAIS. But I have my own needs and requirements which may be well met by only one of the two. Each school has its advantages/disadvantages, some of which are well documented, some of which we'll get to know when we go there. Statistics whether its employment stats or admission rates will tell you only a part of the story, I'd rather trust first hand information from honest students at either place.

Thanks!

I am in exactly the same boat...same schools. Feels like Gtown has also been making more of an effort with the chat sessions...aside from the welcome email, the only other thing I've gotten from SIPA is the finance breakdown email. I wonder if that is indicative of how we'd be treated as students there...

SIPA is more conveniently located for me - Gtown would require a move. And SIPA seems to have more connections to int'l/multilateral organizations which is the direction I want to go in...

Ugh, no idea what to do.

I know. I feel like G-town is more invested in us--and those stupid emails from SIPA have been irritating me. I know, I'm also in NYC--and DC pretty much sucks. What a crazy choice. You going to the accepted students days? Maybe we can chat and weigh out the pros and cons of each after sitting in their sessions.

I know. I feel like G-town is more invested in us--and those stupid emails from SIPA have been irritating me. I know, I'm also in NYC--and DC pretty much sucks. What a crazy choice. You going to the accepted students days? Maybe we can chat and weigh out the pros and cons of each after sitting in their sessions.

I don't have a problem with DC really, just that my DH has a job here so we'd have to split housing which would obviously seriously suck for many reasons, one of them being financial. With SIPA since we already live here, the only costs would be tuition, so it ends up being cheaper...

I am going to the admitted student days for both. Hoping Georgetown will turn me off and make my decision easier.tongue.gif I'd be happy to compare notes at either one - we can take it to PM if you want to figure out how to meet up.

I don't have a problem with DC really, just that my DH has a job here so we'd have to split housing which would obviously seriously suck for many reasons, one of them being financial. With SIPA since we already live here, the only costs would be tuition, so it ends up being cheaper...

I am going to the admitted student days for both. Hoping Georgetown will turn me off and make my decision easier.tongue.gif I'd be happy to compare notes at either one - we can take it to PM if you want to figure out how to meet up.

Hi there! I'm also deciding between MSFS and MIA at SIPA. I'm leaning toward Gtown, however. From what I've gathered, Georgetown has a little better reputation/is more prestigious? I've heard the degree sets you apart from other job applicants, as you're generally the lone MSFS'er (opposed to the 20th SIPA grad, all vying for the same position). I also like the small class size ...and (personally) it would be cheaper for me to live in DC than in NYC. I'm also not all that interested in the finance/quant component, so my inclination might be a little different than yours.

SIPA's emails have been bothering me too, I feel like they are trying too hard with their mass e-blasts.

I'm unable to attend either admitted students days, but I'd be curious to hear your reactions to both programs, if you don't mind sharing!

Best of luck with your decisions!