Emailed a professor and he didn't respond. How to proceed?

boomah

Hi everyone,

I'm in the first year of a PhD program. Recently, I emailed a professor asking to meet to discuss research topics, noting that we have similar interests. This professor is in a different department, so I don't know him personally, but because our research aligns, he's a very potential member of my eventual dissertation committee.

Now, the professor didn't respond to my email -- which is fine, I get it: professors are often busy and forget to respond to emails. Had it been any random professor I would have moved on. But since this is someone who could be very important for my future research, and thus someone I want to develop a good relationship with, I'm trying to think of the best way to follow up. Here are the possibilities I'm considering:

1. Follow up via email: this might be the simplest approach, but it seems somewhat awkward to double email, especially to someone who doesn't know me at all at this point.

2. I can try to find his office hours and go introduce myself then. But I'm afraid that might seem like I'm forcefully inviting myself after never having heard back.

3. I can meet him at a talk or event or workshop etc. This might be a good option but I don't want to seem like I'm cornering him in public and making him apologize in front of everyone else!

4. Wait long enough until he would have forgotten about the first email, and then email as if I'm emailing the first time. This would prevent any awkwardness, but there's the slight risk that he does in fact remember and that would be weird ?

Okay I know I'm way overthinking this -- but that's why I thought it might be best to turn to you guys. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you very much in advance!

4 hours ago, boomah said:

1. Follow up via email: this might be the simplest approach, but it seems somewhat awkward to double email, especially to someone who doesn't know me at all at this point.

2. I can try to find his office hours and go introduce myself then. But I'm afraid that might seem like I'm forcefully inviting myself after never having heard back.

3. I can meet him at a talk or event or workshop etc. This might be a good option but I don't want to seem like I'm cornering him in public and making him apologize in front of everyone else!

4. Wait long enough until he would have forgotten about the first email, and then email as if I'm emailing the first time. This would prevent any awkwardness, but there's the slight risk that he does in fact remember and that would be weird ?

(1) It really depends how long it has passed since you sent the email. If it is just one week, I would suggest that you wait. If it has been like one month and you are sure he has not been away or anything, then it is fine to follow up, but not in a pushing way. Perhaps you can look up one of his recent papers and indicate specifically how his research is of interest to you and align with your work. It is easy for a busy professor to miss out simple emails like "I am interested in your work. Could we meet and discuss?" If you provide some context, then it is more likely to get his attention. 

(2) That would not be the best approach, unless you happen to go to his department, e.g. attending a seminar, and bump into him. 

(3) In my opinion, that is actually the best approach if he is giving a talk or workshop shortly. You definitely would not interrupt him while he is giving a talk, but there must be coffee time (or alike) after these events for audience to ask questions and chat about research. Just like (1), tell him exactly what his research interests you. You will get to interact with him in a more natural way. 

(4) As you said he is of importance to you, I would suggest that you get more proactive in reaching him, rather than waiting out. He may have agreed to be in someone else's committee and cannot be yours if you wait too long. 

Both 1 and 3 are good options. If it's been about 2 weeks (or longer) since you sent your first email, then you should politely follow up. Professors are busy. They forget things sometimes. Sometimes they delete things, too.

Approaching him at an event would work if it's happening soon and you can actually get access to him. Do be aware that when people give talks, however, they are often inundated with people afterwards asking questions. It could be difficult to pin him down to have a good chat! Of course, the opposite might be true as well.