Conference Intro Bio: Mention Future Plans?

I am presenting at my first conference in a month, and I'm super nervous.

They've emailed asking for a one paragraph bio that will be used to introduce us.

Would I mention my future school plans, i.e. "pyramidstuds expects to attend UNC Chapel Hill this fall" or leave that out? Any other dos/don'ts for intro bio? Am I way overthinking the minutia?

My hope is that it would be a good point of conversation during the conference, and maybe help make connections. I'm not sure my hesitation, other than the fact that I have not publicly announced this anywhere, only to friends and family, because I am currently employed and don't want to jeopardize being letting go from my job early.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2019 at 1:44 AM, pyramidstuds said:

Would I mention my future school plans, i.e. "pyramidstuds expects to attend UNC Chapel Hill this fall" or leave that out? Any other dos/don'ts for intro bio? Am I way overthinking the minutia?

My hope is that it would be a good point of conversation during the conference, and maybe help make connections. I'm not sure my hesitation, other than the fact that I have not publicly announced this anywhere, only to friends and family, because I am currently employed and don't want to jeopardize being letting go from my job early.

The point of a biography is to get others to know more about your current research background and area. It would be more like "I completed an undergraduate degree in xxx and have an interest in xxx. I am currently working on [your research project] to [your aims]." It is rare to include future plans in a biography, at least I have not seen that. You can mention your future plans when you get to chat with other participants of the conference, e.g. during tea time. However, given that you don't want your current employer to find out that you will quit to attend grad school this fall, it is probably wise to not say anything. You never know. It's possible that someone at the conference knows your employer. If asked, you could give vague answers like "I like research and would like to attend grad school some time in future." 

Edited by Hope.for.the.best

6 hours ago, Hope.for.the.best said:

The point of a biography is to get others to know more about your current research background and area. It would be more like "I completed an undergraduate degree in xxx and have an interest in xxx. I am currently working on [your research project] to [your aims]." It is rare to include future plans in a biography, at least I have not seen that. You can mention your future plans when you get to chat with other participants of the conference, e.g. during tea time. However, given that you don't want your current employer to find out that you will quit to attend grad school this fall, it is probably wise to not say anything. You never know. It's possible that someone at the conference knows your employer. If asked, you could give vague answers like "I like research and would like to attend grad school some time in future." 

Great answer, thank you! I didn't realize future plans were not typically mentioned, but it makes perfect sense. Thanks!