I received a verbal admission to Stanford's STEP program but I have yet to receive the email letter. Has anyone else run into this issue? Im getting anxious

StudentOfAcademics

Question

5 answers to this question

I cannot speak to that particular program, but I also received verbal admission to a program. I was told over the phone that I was admitted and my official letter and email would come later. It took a week and a half to get the email of acceptance and about two weeks to get the official letter.

I think the school just wants to give you information of the acceptance as soon as possible, but it takes time to get the paperwork shuffled through the department and campus.

Hang in there!

As a general rule and with the disclaimer of YMMV depending on programs, discipline, magnetic storms, etc...

Not to be negative, but always take verbal communication with a grain of salt.... i.e. it ain't official until it's official and you have letterhead and signatures. Even then, a letter from your POI or the Department is probably not binding/as official as hard copies or college of graduate studies/the university's graduate school paperwork.

Anything you get or bank on should be in writing, preferably hard copy from the mail with seals, stamps, signatures.

Who was it from and how did they phrase it? If it's a call from the program chair ("hey this is unofficial but you're in; everyone on the committee liked you"), I'd say it's more reliable than from a particular PI. If they actually said "you may consider this call your official notification", even better (I had a call like that, the associate dean actually said that it was "set in stone"). 

Did it sound like the person was calling everyone to give unofficial calls, or was it because they really liked you specifically and wanted to let you know earlier? If it's the former, not getting an email within say a week would be concerning to me. But if it's the latter, then any amount of wait time is probably normal.