Should I contact programs I haven't heard from?

magnetite

Would it be considered bad practice to email the graduate coordinators at a school I haven't gotten a response from? There haven't been any updates posted on the results page yet for this school and history has shown that they usually send out acceptances very late -- end of March, to even late April in some cases.

I'd really like to make a decision sooner rather than later, so I can get my affairs in order where I am now and find a place to live in the new city. 

25 minutes ago, magnetite said:

Would it be considered bad practice to email the graduate coordinators at a school I haven't gotten a response from? There haven't been any updates posted on the results page yet for this school and history has shown that they usually send out acceptances very late -- end of March, to even late April in some cases.

I'd really like to make a decision sooner rather than later, so I can get my affairs in order where I am now and find a place to live in the new city. 

Do their websites have any information about when decisions should be expected? If the information is posted on the website, just stick to that deadline. However, if it's after the posted deadline or close to it then go for it. I totally get the desire to narrow things down and find a place to live. 

11 minutes ago, FutureEdPHD said:

Do their websites have any information about when decisions should be expected? If the information is posted on the website, just stick to that deadline. However, if it's after the posted deadline or close to it then go for it. I totally get the desire to narrow things down and find a place to live. 

Their website doesn't have an estimate for when to expect decisions. My POI there has only said that they start reviewing applications right after the deadline, but it always takes a lot longer than he likes for them to make decisions.

If you have received offers from other universities, it is completely acceptable to reach out and check the status of your application. I had to do something similar for one of the programs I applied to; I emailed to let them know that I have received offers from other programs and that I would like to check the status of my application so that I am able to get back to each program at a reasonable time. I got a response pretty quickly that they were still reviewing and it was going to take a while but that they would make sure to get back to me ASAP so that I have time to consider all of my options. They sent me my status 2 days later. So, I think the worse they can tell you is that is going to take a while, but I think it makes a big difference when you ask with a purpose (you've received offers and need to decide) vs. pure curiosity.