UIC vs IFA

tolokon

Hey everybody!

In desperate need of advise -- 

Last application cycle I applied to PhD programs in Art History (no MA, graduated '18). My good GPA, awards, publications, fluency in foreign languages, and internships at a number of large museums in NYC made me believe that I have a good shot. 

I was accepted to the PhD program at University of Illinois at Chicago. Full tuition waiver and a monthly stipend. Felt good about it -- professors have been extremely supportive throughout the application process and students are fun to talk to with an impressive academic record. Not a big-name school, relatively new program, but the instructors are doing very interesting work and Chicago has a lot of museums and cultural organizations. I am very interested in museum, curatorial work, as well as academic research. 

Few days ago, I learned that I was accepted to NYU -- IFA M.A. program. It was my first choice school from the very beginning. PROS: big-name-school, connections in the city, course work geared toward curating. CONS: cost of tuition (will be seriously considering it only if they provide me a partial tuition waiver that I qualify for), cost of living (NYC is ruinously expensive, and I am not sure how many part-times I will have to take on), shorter program. Big risk.

Please advise! What is the best course of action: turn down the money and supportive faculty, clutch my teeth and do IFA; or turn down IFA and move to Chicago? Really leaning toward UIC but want to see if there are some good arguments against... Anyone has experience with either program? 

many thanks!

Ok first off, breathe. Congratulations, that's awesome! 

What is your area of interest? Have you had contact with IFA as to whom your advisor would be? If so, do you seem compatible? Are they supportive of the areas of what you would like to research? What are your deadlines for notifying UIC and IFA? Are you planning on going to open house at IFA? Does UIC have an open house or do you feel like you've had sufficient contact with them and are familiar with Chicago?

Feel free to dm me. I'd be happy to help you hash this out. I've done pretty extensive research on IFA at this point and am in a similar situation.